1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Haaaa help fast!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by home on the range, Dec 13, 2012.

1. home on the range

home on the range Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I put my eggs on lock down for hatching in an egg carton. I set the like I would in the turner with big end up. Is that right!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Actually, I would take away the carton and just lay the eggs on their sides free-style in the incubator.

3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Yes, big end up. I've had great luck with hatching them in egg cartons if I've cut away most of the carton to allow for ventilation. In fact, that's how they have to hatch in my fully packed Brinsea incubator. Best wishes.

Note: My broody hens, on the other hand, seem to find it much more comfortable when the eggs are in a horizontal position. [​IMG]

4. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Yep, big end up.

I like laying them on their sides, but if you've got a still air and your eggs are coming out of a turner, you need to keep them at the same height that they were at in the turner or you'll have a huge temperature difference. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by