Habitat for Humanity

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Eight local men just returned from Tusaloosa yesterday evening.
    One was my daughters teacher. These men went out of their way
    to drive a few hundred miles to help rebuild two homes for complete
    strangers.

At the fire department, the crew has been working on gift baskets for
    various families in the area.

We've sent gift boxes to soldiers again this year.

NY Boy posted a thread earlier today about his friend donating six coats
    for the homeless.

I consider each one of those as an outstanding effort to help someone
    else. And I'm sure that there are many more stories among us of a giving
    heart.

Spook....who is proud of these people.

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    When I was a teenager we had green houses, and would donate the landscaping to Habitat... all perennials native to the area for low maintenance. It was fun! Another time we had a whole hillside to do, on a vacant lot. Turned it into the cutest little park!

It was neat to meet the family and see the house when it was nearly done... just doing the yard and finishing touches.

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Great charity. Also great for those building a coop who are on a budget. I built my coop and got many supplies from them. I bought a window that is 2.5'x8' for $32... brand new too. Would have probably been around $200 from anywhere else. I also bought a door, nails, doorknob kit, another window... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.. I walked out the door paying $74 but I swear I must have had $300+ worth of goodies. It's a great place but I have heard from others that their local habitat for humanity supply shop was overpriced.. so it may depend on location but it's definitely worth a look.

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My sons pooled their chore money last night & asked if I would take them to a store today so they could buy toys to donate to their school's toy drive.
    I was very proud of them, since they don't get a huge allowance and we can't afford to buy a lot of extras ourselves, I felt like I have done something right. They are, at least, aware they could have it worse.

My Mom went to Nepal with Habitat, and since then she & I & my sister have tried to work with them once a year - usually around Mother's day. It is great fun & we meet some really interesting folks on the job site every year.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by