habits of egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sahmsister1, Oct 20, 2011.

1. sahmsister1

sahmsister1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Utah
    Ok, so we found an egg in an odd place. Only one of our chickens has been laying, and she seems to be laying in pretty much one location. so far the other ladies seem to be passing on the egg laying plan... So my question(s) are, 1) Don't hens normally lay in the same place? and 2) At what age do Wyandottes and Mottled Java lay? The W and the MJ are younger than 4 other chickens, but the egg we found was in the place those 2 normally sleep.

2. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    I don't know about POL ages for different birds. Do you have decoy eggs in the nest you want them to use? If not, put a couple in the box you want them using and see if that rectifies the situation.

If the decoys don't work you can put a portable nest where they are laying with decoys in it and when they start laying in that box, each day move it a little closer to the box you want them laying in. Once it's right up next to the nest box you want them using move the decoys to the box you want them in and pull the portable box out.

3. sahmsister1

sahmsister1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Utah
    I never heard of that before, but I'm going to try it! We've only been chicken parents for about 4 months, so I guess I probably hear something new every day:) Thanks. Now, if only they would lay eggs with their names on them....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by