Had a bad day- RIP Omelette and Kellogg

Omelettey

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Hi all
New to this forum and after some help...
I have had my beautiful three chickens for three years and they have always got on very well and been so lovely and friendly. We have recently moved house and today a neighbours dog got into our garden and has killed two out of the three chickens-devasted does not even cover how I am feeling right now:hit
One of the chickens, Florentine, had the sense to run into her house. We presumed her dead and eaten by the dog as she was missing, but after an hour whilst we were clearing up the garden, she tentatively came out of the coop- shaken and with a small wound to her side but otherwise sprightly.
So, I have a few questions and wondered if you guys would be able to help:
1) Dealing with her wounds. Is dilute hibiscrub (chlorhexidine) safe to use to bathe the wound? I will give her some warm porridge for breakfast tomorrow as it is her favourite and will make sure that she is eating and drinking. Should I put some aspirin in her water as I have seen recommended on another forum? Any other recommendations?
2) When would be right to get her some new friends? Presuming she makes it through the next few days. I can't decide whether as she is now on her own for the first time in her life she needs new friends as soon as possible, or whether she ought to be left for a while to recover from the shock and her injuries?
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you in advance. :)

Hi there,
That's awful - sorry for your losses! You were lucky that Florentine survived. You said she has a small wound to her side - can you describe it better? If it truly is small, good old soap and warm water to clean the area and put antibiotic ointment on it (triple A whatever). Hibiscrub is great for cleaning around the wound as is Betadine, but don't put it directly on the wound.
I believe there is something on aspirin for chickens in the learning center, I've never used it. Give her vitamin/electrolyte added to her water/feed, mealworms, cat kibble, add some yoghurt to her porridge too!
Personally, I would get her some friends sooner rather than later - it will occupy her time. I'm sure others will chip in with advice too, Good luck & keep us posted! Sue
fl.gif

I can't advise you on treating your chicken's wounds, but as far as getting a couple more chickens... They are flock animals, so I think she would be happier with a couple of friends. I would suggest waiting until she heals, though, since the new ones may pick on her - either because she'd be weaker, or if it's an open wound, they will pick and pick.

Absolutely wait until she's completely healed before you get new birds. Even though she's the home team so to speak, she'll still be at risk for getting pecked.

Soap and water's usually best for cleaning wounds, actually just flushing with water is good.

Good supportive care, increased nutrition, etc.

And before you get more birds, you seriously need to address the dog issue.

Thank you for your responses. Florentine is up and about this morning but seems very frightened and not keep on eating much. She has pecked at some corn and I have offered her some porridge with millet and flax which hopefully she will go back to later as she wouldn't entertain the idea when I let her out. Annoyingly she was the most shy of the three so that coupled with the trauma of yesterday is making it hard to get near her.
The wound is about the size of a 5p piece and full thickness down to the muscle. I haven't probed too much because she is still very stressed. It is well hidden beneath her wing. The only other thing is a few tail feather missing and a small swelling to her crop area. I have given her some metacam which I was told was safe for her to have to help with the pain and is an anti inflammatory.
The dog issue has been well and truly addressed- don't worry! It will only eg allowed out on a chain in the neighbours garden and we are off to buy fencing today to reinforce our perimeter.

If her wound is hidden, I think getting her more flock mates will re-orient and comfort her more quickly, I don't think they will pick on something they can't see. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom