Had a BAD DAY.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 14, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Okay....so here's a list of what I dealt with yesterday when I got home:

I drove down the driveway on the way home from work & immediately noticed piles of sticks? all over the place. It took me a minute or two to realize what I was looking at--it was the TWENTY FIVE trees we'd just planted on Sunday along the driveway! Almost every single one was ripped up, chewed upon and dried up in the driveway. Dern dog! [​IMG]

So then I notice the dog is eating something...white and big. My first thought is MY SULTAN HEN!!! I check the coop & she's in there with an egg...so it's not her. I go over & see that it's an egg. But just not any old egg...it's a GOOSE egg. But where did it come from? I broke/feed the smelly ones to the chickens/ducks days before....I walk around the backside of the house & almost faint. There is a Priority box on my back porch which was carefully chewed/ripped open and yolk-filled bubble wrap strewn about the yard. NOT ONE of the FOUR SEBASTOPOL EGGS made it. I had completely spaced that I'd won a PRE-SALE auction in MARCH!! (Well, and the seller didn't call or email to let me know the eggs were coming now, either). Needless to say, I have learned that the post office will not replace eggs (even insured ones) that were eaten by a dog after they were left on the porch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

So then I come into the house & the cats had knocked over the garbage & spread it all over the house.

Then hubby gets home & says that they (the school district) is cutting TWO of coaching jobs for next year...which equates to a $4000+ income loss for next year (or about $350 per month we won't have). We're already stretched thin, as it is....[​IMG]
    So he told me that there is "no way" I can have my other coop right now...and we need to "cut down" on expenses. I already have one of my horses for sale, along with a set of tack & an additional saddle....

Lastly, I awoke at 3am this morning to a completely dark house--one without any electricity!! I sprang up, raced to the spare bedroom (the two incubators in it), grabbed my flashlight & picked in. Incubator #1 was at 92.2 degrees. The other one, was at 91! Incubator #1 has swap eggs in it, due THIS WEEKEND Incubator #2 has two sebbie eggs, 8 blue muscovies and two chocolate muscovies. Argghh! I threw a blanket over the bators & within an hour, the power had come back on...so I was propped up against the wall in there, making sure the temps didn't get too high....

So I just wanted to vent a little bit...

That being said, once my PayPal balance has run out, I won't be getting any more eggs this year since I'll be forced to squeeze any new birds to my already cramped coop. [​IMG]

I'll still offer my duck eggs for sale...

~Heather

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    so sorry you had such a rough day when you got home.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] What a horrible day for you! I'm sorry!

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks...it's not been too much better today...LOL although I'm expecting it to be that way!

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Wow, that sounds like a really cruddy day, I hope the rest of the week starts looking up, [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks....I'm hoping it will get better....dog is in the kennel today, in case my sultan eggs show up! [​IMG]

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Sounds like the cats and dog need a good "talking to" - especially the dog.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    You poor baby, first the crappy shipping on the buttercup eggs now this?

I hope everything starts to look up for you dear.

:aww

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks! How are all of your Brahmas doing? I got some eggs from Sandy (Tuffoldhen) and they look great...

10. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    :aww

I'm sorry. I know those kinds of days. It will get better, I promise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by