Had a death in the coop!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brklync, Oct 3, 2013.

1. brklync

brklync Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Iowa
    We had a Rhode Island Red 1 or 2 years old found it dead in the coop!!! What could have caused it?!!! It didn't look like anything was wrong with her but she was flopped over on her side. What do I do? Is it something that is going to pass to my other 12 hens?! Real worried about my girls [​IMG]

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The best thing you can do is put on some latex/nitrile gloves, take the bird and tightly secure the bird in a plastic bag. Put it in the refrigerator, not the freezer, and get hold of the nearest lab to arrange for a necropsy. It is the only way to know for sure. The list of labs is unavailable online due to the supposed government shutdown, so I suggest you call this fellow:
    Kevin S.
    Vinchattle
    Iowa Poultry Association, 8515 Douglas Avenue, Suite 9,
    Urbandale
    50322-2924.

Phone: (515)727-4701, FAX: (515)727-4707

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sometimes birds just die. I've had it happen on and off for 20 years, just as you said. Nothing wrong, then just dead at next check. I've never had it be anything the other girls got. If the bird appeared okay prior, it's not likely an illness, just something wrong with that particular bird. Pretty much all you can do is keep an eye on your flock and make sure everyone's okay over the next few days.

Please do NOT go out and buy antibiotics for your birds "as a preventative". Antibiotics are only to be used if specific symptoms are present, not as a just in case.

Good luck, hope everyone stays healthy.

4. brklync

Mar 27, 2013
    Iowa
    That's really weird did you know I live in iowa?

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Under your avatar it states you live in Iowa [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You make a good point about going off half cocked with antibiotics. I disagree with the statement about birds being okay, then dead the next as not likely an illness. Severe cases of Cholera demonstrate the same thing; no symptoms one day, and the bird is laying dead the next.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I call it Chicken Death when they die for no apparent reason. I've noticed that when it happens to juvenile birds it's the ones that were late hatchers, had hatching problems or were sick weakly chicks.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Be on alert for your other chickens. I just had this happen. First one no signs what so ever. Gone the next day.but sadly it must have been a virus because within the next two weeks I lost another then another. Until I have one left..ive given a regiment of antibotics to my last one and I'm praying every day she won't succumb. Cleaned everything really well and have her inside to watch. So far so good. I never realized how fast something can spread through a flock. sometimes sudden deaths just happen as I thought but sometimes it can be serious as in my case. Just be on the alert. Most of the time it does just happen and its not spreading.so don't worry.my case is the worst case senerio. It won't hurt to be watching extra close just in case. Sorry for your loss.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, the nurse in me just can't let this go......if it was a virus, giving antibiotics is an exercise in futility. Antibiotics don't work against viruses, they work against bacteria. Bacteria and viruses are two different things.

That said, I'm sorry you lost your birds and I hope your remaining one is okay, you find out what happened and are able to successfully rebuild a healthy flock.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  10. brklync

Mar 27, 2013
    Iowa
    Thank you for your input I am watching closely. Sadly I always watch closely and didn't know why this one died:( any certain behavior unusual? What should I look for? I pretty I tune but maybe I've missed something obvious. I have 2 coops on 2 properties and I watch them close I have ducks in a different inclosure and I have dogs cats and horses I feel like I know when there is something wrong with one of them. I feel like I have failed my large coop now and I really hope nothing happens to the rest of the hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by