Had a little surprise yesterday

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PNW_Smoker, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PNW_Smoker

PNW_Smoker New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    I've got a barred rock hen that kept getting out of my coop. I was tired of catching her and too lazy to put a top over it so I let her run with the rooster.

Well about a week ago I noticed that she had gone missing. I figured she may have gotten eaten by a coon or coyote.

Well yesterday when I was feeding here she comes walking up like “what’s up feed me”. I had a friend over and he said “you know what she looks broody”. As soon as he said that I thought to my self I hadn’t been in my goat barn for sometime and was wondering if she was sitting on eggs. Sure as heck I went in there and she was sitting on 15 eggs. At this point I don’t really know what to do besides let here sit them out and see what happens right? I’ve never hatched eggs so I really don’t know what to do.

What to do?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Leave her but make sure she's protected from any predators. Put some food and water with her.

3. PNW_Smoker

PNW_Smoker New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    Ok copy that I will.

So if she has 15 eggs under her I'd assume she's been sitting on at least one of the for at least 15 days right?

What is the timeframe for hatching? I know go search and read right.....

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    No. They lay a clutch of eggs and THEN start sitting. The eggs will all hatch at roughly the same time. I usually remove chicks as soon as they are dry so the hen will continue to sit. If you leave the early ones with her she may get up and leave the nest before they have all hatched.

5. PNW_Smoker

PNW_Smoker New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    How long until they hatch? I guess I should take a peak in there every other day or so?

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It takes 21 days for the eggs to hatch. How long has she been MIA?

7. PNW_Smoker

PNW_Smoker New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    Quote:I'd say she's been gone for a week.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Then I would start looking for them in about 2 weeks. Hope you get some chicks! [​IMG]

9. PNW_Smoker

PNW_Smoker New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    Quote:Me too that would be pretty cool. My kiddos will think that's awesome. I'll post up some pics.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by