Had a strange thing happen today. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhino533, Jun 27, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I have 4 Japanese Bantam Hens which I use for egg sitting. They go broody all the time and my Mixed breed egg layers never go broody. So I uses the Bantams to hatch my mixed breed eggs. Anyways, I saw a strange thing today. I usually seperate the Bantam and my Mixed Breed. They each have there own cages. Every few days I let the chickens out of there cages to roam for the day. I usually mix all the chicken together. I saw my mixed breed roo jump and have some fun with my Bantam Hen. This is a big size difference. Can my mixed breed Roo fertilize my Bantams eggs? Would they hatch? The Bantam was definitely not putting up a fight. It was like she was letting him.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm not an expert but I would think yes. Fertilization is fertilization I assume. Someone will have your answer. [​IMG]

3. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    M.sue :

I'm not an expert but I would think yes. Fertilization is fertilization I assume. Someone will have your answer. [​IMG]

I thought the same but the size difference is like 3 to 4 times different. That goes for the eggs too. Japanese Bantam Eggs are so tiny. Woulden't it be like a Chiwawa and and Great Dane? They can't have puppies. I know birds have eggs but woulden't a Bantam egg be to small to fit a mixed chick from a Big breed of chicken?​

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    They've done studies where they inseminated a miniture horse with a draft horse. The baby doesn't get any bigger than the small mare if that makes any sense. So, yes a standard chicken could be inseminated by a banty and vice versa. The banty will not produce bigger eggs because of it.

5. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:I wonder what kind of chicken you would get? What would it look like?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by