1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had a visitor today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sesa, May 14, 2009.

1. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    My dog left a bone on the deck and this guy paid us a visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    He seriously wanted that bone...aye? [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    a turkey yurkey vulture they're okay as long as they're no where near my chickens. LOL.

4. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You don't need to worry about them around your chickens. Turkey vultures only eat dead stuff. I have them all over my place and never had a problem.

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:You don't need to worry about them around your chickens. Turkey vultures only eat dead stuff. I have them all over my place and never had a problem.

That's a misconception. Had a whole group of turkey vultures trying to peck my bantam cochins eyes out. Read up on it they do....luckily I caught the problem in time and scared them off. My cochins had to hide their heads in the leaves and dirt.

ETA: it was black vultures that attacked my chickens. Turkey vultures do flock with black vultures though and will eat what the blacks kill.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Thats a great picture! I have never seen one up close like that! I dont even think we have them around here that i can remember.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

7. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    also, people on here have had them fly off with their young chicks. But, they are certainly not the threat hawks/eagles/owls are!

cool pics!

8. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    That's a cool pic. That's how we know summer is close by in Ohio those vultures show up everywhere. They're great at finding gas leaks....lol.

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    He really did want that bone [​IMG]

vultures in general tend to only eat dying or dead animals, but some species(Black) will go after anything small enough for them to get, which includes chicks and bantams

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  10. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Cross that with a frizzle chicken and you'll really have something !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by