1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

had chick starter, got grower feed by mistake for 6 and 10 week olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by siouxbee, Jul 8, 2007.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    I have been giving my girls organic chick starter. I think it was called broiler crumbles, actually, made by blue seal. Anyway. So I called the feed store last week because I was running out, and they called yesterday to let me know my organic chick food was in.

Went to get it today -- it's grower crumbles. It says right on the package that you're supposed to transition them gradually to this after at least 8 weeks old.

Well, my girls are 6 and 10 weeks old, and I'm out of my chick starter. Will they be ok with this sudden transition? it looks the same to me, so they shouldn't have a problem actually eating it, but will it cause some sort of damage?

should I just go and get some non-organic (aka special order) chick starter and mix that with the grower stuff? isn't that non-org chick starter usually medicated? won't that cause problems since my girls were vaccinated for marek's and coc?

thanks for any advice,
    Sioux

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There's a medicated and non-medicated version of almost every chick starter on the market. You can't find organic anything where I live. It should be fine to go ahead and start them on the grower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by