HAD COOP BOUGHT CHICKENS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FumbleFingers, Feb 17, 2017.

1. FumbleFingers

FumbleFingers New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    So I thought it would be nice to have fresh eggs; and since the owner of this house that has me caretaking, had a coop and all these feeders, I got 8 chicks. - OMG whats this gonna cost [​IMG] !

4 Buff
    2 Speckled Sussex
    2 Cal. Greys

Just browsing through the forums 4 - 5 hours, worried about Predators, have seen a possum before. Will they chew through chicken wire?

Robert Greene

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Can you try to post pics of your coop and run? We can help you figure out if it needs any modifications/fortifications.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Robert

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your chicks :clap I'm sure you will enjoy them very much, raising chicks sure is lots of fun and very rewarding too :D Have you checked out the learning Center? Lots of super articles there that are most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. FumbleFingers

FumbleFingers New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    LOL I could post a pic but I haven't built the run yet! [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Robert [​IMG] Welcome!

That is how we got into chickens also; bought a house with a coop “can’t leave that empty” and the rest is history [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home here! I think you'll like it! :frow

~Cuz

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Just step away from the chicken wire...all it does is keep chickens in, it won't keep predators out. Hardware cloth is a better way to go, it's more expensive but will keep your flock safer.

Nice looking fish in your avatar!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Also put a cover on any run you construct to help keep raptors, climbers from getting in and chicken flyers from escaping. Any predator worth the title can get through chicken wire.

9. FumbleFingers

FumbleFingers New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    Kudos and thank you, all

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by