Had Dinner w/ our first Meat Bird

LauraSBale

Songster
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
Linden, Mich S/W of Flint
we had our chickens processed on Friday.
had one for Dinner yesterday,
when i was cutting up the chicken, I could'nt help but to think, i wonder which one this is. :|
the average weight was 7 lbs.
i salted, pepper, garlic and paprika then on the grill, oh it was so good.
I'm allergic to chicken, and when i eat it, i get bad stomach and intestinal cramping, then to the bathroom
sickbyc.gif
I didn't get any of that, it was great, raising you own chickens, The only way to go
woot.gif

i wonder what they do to commerical chickens?? - we have a neighbor and her son that cannot eat store bought eggs - makes them really ill. they can eat ones raised locally tho.

Steroids, steroids and growth hormones are banned in the US in the production of poultry, so that's not the case. The same is not true, though, in production of all the other meat we eat which you get from grocery stores.

Antibiotics is the rather 'grey area'; the chicken can be marketed as "natural" even with antibiotics (typically coccidiostats) used in the feed. But, coccidiostats, even though considered antibiotics, work differently from your typical true antibiotic. So is there harm in them to human health? I don't think so, really.

The biggest thing is that commercially raised broilers are 'marinated' in salt water to achieve a 20-25% moisture content. Cynics argue they are selling heavy, weighted water at chicken price per pound. I tend to agree with tehm. The big poultry producers say that customers in blind tastings prefer it 'marinated', so that's why they do it.

Who knows? I tend to agree with teh cynics on this one.

The real issue is people love their "moist, juicy chicken" that they are used to eating; but it's completely artifical. What they are eating is salt water with some textureless meat. So, when the same person gets hold of one of our home raised chickens, tehy tend to cook the hell out of it. Since the moisture content is so much lower, the cooking times should be shorter, adn they often complain that the meat was 'tough'.

The chicken isn't tough; it's just every bit of chicken they ate up until that point was not real food.

Missprissy does. I never hav brined one. I just use a thermometer to ensure I don't cook the snot out of it. We also use heavy Le Creuset pans in our AGA for roasting, whihc means the moisture can't escape it.

My guess is the allergies to commercial meats/eggs is the extreme treatment taken to make the food "sterile" and "safe" to be packaged and sold in markets.

In the broad definition of antibiotic as a molecule or substance that inhibits the growth of single cell organisms, cocciodistants are an antibiotic, however, often they are defined as a cocciosistant, since their only mode of action is to inhibit the uptake of thiamine.

I too have not brined and like my own birds because when you make things like "sweet chicken" you don't have tons of excess water that washes away the flavor of the sauce in a pool at the bottom of the pan.

Sweet chicken:

1 part honey
1 part brown sugar
1/2 part strong alchohol
2 parts hoisin sauce
1/2 part bbq sauce of your choice
a few dashes of soy sauce
a few dashes of soy based rice seasoning
some diced up garlic and ginger
a spoon of sesame oil
a sprinkle of sesame seeds

lather thin slices of meat overnight and stir fry in a big pan. If it's not store chicken, the sauce sticks to the meat and you can use the residue in the pan to stir fry up some veggies and eat it all with white rice. If it's store chicken... you usually end up with a watery broth that I have boil down in a sauce pan. All ingredients can vary by about 1/2 a part. LOL I have no measurements.

I'm hungry.

I just cooked up the 2 Cornish Xs I butchered on Sun, these were the first of that breed I've tasted...

ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

...oooooh, they were DEE-double-EE-licious!!! Who would have guessed that dinosaurs would taste so good? I still have that wonderful taste in my mouth, I don't want any dessert to wash it away.

I oven-roasted them with lemon, garlic & fresh rosemary. I didn't brine them and they still were moist. They didn't take as long to roast as store-bought birds.

These birds were 4 & 4.5 lbs at 8 weeks. Perhaps I should have let them go another week or two, but they've been looking so hot & miserable, & I feared they would start dropping dead on their own.

I'm hoping to order some more meaties to arrive at the beginning of Feb, after the duties & activities of our county fair have concluded. It will be comfortable weather for the birds, and also for butchering days.

I've processed & eaten standard breed & mixed-breed roos before, but this was my first taste of home-grown Cornish Xs, and now I'm spoiled for any other breed!

I gave my mother-In-law a piece of the breast and some of soup that i made from the rest of chicken, and she has the same problem i do with commercial meat, and she had no ill side affect.

I think some of it, is how they are grown in the commercial housing and what they are feed, and take care of. and the processing.

when i was cutting up the chicken, it was so clean, compared to store chicken,. and no funky smell, actually there was no smell on my chicken,.

we didn't do the processing, some one else did it for us, and it was great.

it didn't bother my girls at all to eat the chicken, but my 13 year old son, could eat it, he said he cant eat any thing he seen alive, so i told him about how store bought chickens are taken care of and everything else, now he doesn't want to eat chicken at all.
he.gif

what a Goof!!!
smack.gif
I mean if a 6 and 10 year old girls can eat the chicken, get really
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom