Had enough of the heat? Would you like a snow disaster?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
  2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/rare-snowfall-on-earths-driest-desert-in-chile/2011/07/22/gIQAjEkqTI_blog.html

As
    much of the U.S. suffers through oppressive and dangerous heat and humidity, many regions in Australia and South America have experienced near or actual record cold and snow (btw: it’s winter there). Most unusual was the wintry blast earlier in July which dumped 31.5 inches of snow, the heaviest snowfall in almost two decades, on the Atacama Desert region along the Pacific coast of Chile.
    The uniqueness of this event is that the Atacama Desert is a 600-mile-long plateau known to be one of, if not the driest and most sterile deserts on Earth. Because moisture is blocked from the east by the by the Andes mountains and from the west by the Chilean Coast Range, average rainfall is just 0.04 per year and skies are almost always cloud free.
    Some weather stations in the Atacama have never received rain, and research suggests that some identifiable river beds have been dry for 120,000 years.
    The region is so unique that NASA uses it to test instruments for Mars missions. Tests of the instrumentation of the Viking I and II Mars Landers for detecting signs of life, for example, found none in Atacama Desert soil. Also, because of its unworldly appearance, the Atacama has been the set for several movies and TV programs (e.g., Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets)
    See also: Good video from BBC.
    The recent snow occurred when an extreme Antarctic cold front, the strongest in at least 30 years, managed to break through the otherwise almost impenetrable rain/snow shadow. (Note: give the elevation of Atacama, about 10,000 feet, and extreme cold, the water content of the snowfall was likely at least 50 percent above the nominal 10:1 snow/rain rule of thumb).
    Further south in Chile up to eight feet of snow was reported leaving thousands of people isolated without electricity and supplies (here). According to one regional governor, “In four days we have had four months worth of snowfall.”

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As much as I hate this heat, I'm willing to byass snow in any quantity.

4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:I LOVE summer. At least I'm not hurting 24/7.

5. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the summer heat, the way I see it is if it's cold...i can keep piling on clothes and blankets and build a fire...but when its stinkin hot like recently i can only get so nakkid and i'll still be miserable

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Yeah, but gettin nekkid can be so much fun. [​IMG]

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    You don't have to shovel heat.

8. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Just went through a 95+ heat and 100% humidity spell and I don't like it one bit! Upstate New York is usually 80 - 85 degrees for the summer and to have it that hot is really uncomfortable. We don't have A/C because, well, we really never need it....but I was wishing for it last week. Did I mention we were painting my daughters bedroom in this heat as well!

9. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Ugh, I'm hating this heat. Give me a winter with 4 feet of snow and 2 degrees out. You has a happy me. [​IMG] I've felt like I could melt these past few days though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Yeah, but gettin nekkid can be so much fun. [​IMG]

My husband lives and works 550 miles away...aint happenin! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by