HAD it with these hawks!!!!!!

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
There was a family of hawks nesting in the woods at the back of our property. We free range our birds in our fenced in backyard. They do have a covered run attatched to their coop but not a sliver of greenery ever grows in there now. Last thanksgiving this young pair of hawks killed my sweet little call duck hen. This year they are bigger, badder and 100% FEARLESS of me! For the past 2 days I have been standing out in the yard for hours on end watching their antics. They have a heck of a strategy, both fly off in the distance, a little while later one comes flying by the coop screaming to distract the chickens while the other comes in for the kill silent as a mouse. And then there is me standing out there like I just escaped the nut house waiving my pitch fork screaming at them..... I have had no losses thus far but it is bound to happen and soon! It is so frusterating not being able to take these hawks out. Now the birds are only allowed to range in the backyard when I am home and available to stand guard. The crows have been very helpful in chasing the hawks away but it is usually short lived and the crows take off to go about their day the hawks come right back. Just a few minutes ago I heard the birds sound the alarm and sure enough there sat one of the hawks maybe 10 ft up in the tree eyeballing my seramas grazing in the compost!!! Out of all the farm land around here and empty fields you would think mice ect would be abundant but these little jerks have a taste for chicken now. I have several hiding spots set up in the yard for the birds to dive under when the hawks move in and so far it has worked great. Last year we only had the 1 loss and I contribute that to the fact that the duck just learned to fly and was testing out her new wings I hadn't gotten a chance to clip them before they got her. I have tried hanging CD's from the trees and that doesn't work. What do those of you who choose to free range your flock do about the hawks??? The backyard is over half acre so netting over the yard is out of the question.

Same issue. They've killed two, which really hurt. While I'm free ranging them, ever watchful, I have up to four circling that I have to scare off. The chicken run, willy nilly, hiding, & are afraid to graze. Lousy. Our hawks are getting more & more agressive.

Yeah they sure are! It makes me SO mad! I mean if they can take the grey wolf off the endangered species list so the farmers are now allowed to kill them and there is such an abundant amount of hawks why can't we thin the herd a little?!?!?!

Our place is proof positive. My dad was visiting Sunday & couldn't believe how brazen they were. Livestocks are an income to many people! I know I lost a lot of money just losing two. Feed, medicine, coop, run, cleaning, chicken sitters investment gone to the birds!

We have plenty of crows around here, but they only chase them so long....The 2 that are here were eating my duck alive, not even bothered by us standing not 2 ft away screaming at them trying to scare em off. I have never seen hawks so fearless in the 7 years I have been out here! It's downright scary.

Ditto with the crows. I love it when they divebomb the hawks but they're not always around. I put some corn out for them, too, sometimes they show, sometimes they don't. But the hawks are always nearby, ever waiting patiently for chicken buffet.

Chickenaddict, I think Jimsbirdhouse meant the crow decoys that you can buy at many stores that sell duck decoys. I know I've gotten them at Dick's Sporting Goods (formerly Galyan's). I think Gander Mountain should have them also. You would probably have to move them around every morning so the hawks don't clue in.

My Anatolians will keep watch for hawks and chase them away, especially when they hear an alarm call from the birds (usually the guineas), but just the presence of what the hawk sees as a larger "predator" in the vicinity is enough to keep them from trying to actually swoop in and actually take a chicken. (I keep hoping they'll get the neighbors' yappy little rat-dogs that bark all night, but so far no luck on that one ;) )

Yep I know he meant decoy, just figure when ya got the real deal no need to waste money on a decoy. I tried an owl decoy year before last, moved it around everyday and that still didn't stop them.

My beagle wants to eat the birds right along with the hawks so the dog thing is a no go for us lol

Farm-a-zootical I know what ya mean, the crows are the clean up crew, first ones to swoop down and clean up whats left when the hawks get done.:(

Back
Top Bottom