Had my first acupuncture treatment yesterday:

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eggcited2, Jan 23, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Well, had my first appointment with the acupuncture doctor.
    It was interesting.

I asked for help with the pain in my knees and also for losing weight.

I had about 15 or so needles in my belly/abdomen, sort of circling my belly button.

For the knees, I had about 50 or so needles down both legs, from mid thigh. On my right leg, she stopped at the ankle, but had extra needles around the knee. On the left leg, since it is the one with the broken ankle, she went all the way down the foot and around the ankle bone on the side that broke. While it is 8 weeks since the break, and is mostly healed, it still is weak.

The needles were left in for 20-30 minutes. She had a radiant heat lamp shinning on the needles in the legs. Also on the right leg and on the belly, she hooked up a unit that put some electricity through some of the needles.

None of it ever hurt, at any time.

Since then: I have to admit I am having no pain at all today with my right knee. That one has been hurting the worst, so it got the most intense treatment yesterday. As for the eating: I don't seem to be interested in eating quite so much. I am leaving more food on my plate (feeling fuller faster) and don't seem to crave food as much as I did.

To be honest; I don't know if it is a placebo effect or the acupuncture really working. But I do know, what ever or which ever, I am happy with the results so far.

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    [​IMG]
    A couple years ago, I got treatements for a bad back. Second treatment, I was so painfree and relaxed, I fell asleep on the table. Between that and therapy, I was on the mend - then I fell and needed surgery. [​IMG]

3. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Keep us informed. I have constant back pain from scoliosis and am interested in that for pain. It's always been in the same category as herbs and stuff. So I would like to know how well it works. I know some herbs work quite well and better than drugs. As with everything it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

As for the weight loss. Probably just stimulated some of the nerves that tell you when your stomach is full. Best way for me to lose weight was to either have my mouth sewn shut or get a gastric bypass. Since I'm just like E. F. Hutton.[​IMG] I went with the gastric bypass.[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many years ago one of my nephews was involved in a serious automobile accident. Post recovery he was in continual pain the cause of which was never medically defined. His primary physician sent him to a psychiatrist certain that the roots of the pain were mental in nature. The shrink after 2 visits told my nephew that there was nothing wrong with his psyche and recommended an acupuncturist. Within 6 months my nephew was and still remains pain free. I've never been to one, but an acupuncturist definately helped my nephew. Hoping your recovery continues successfully.[​IMG]

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I saw a wonderful acupuncturist for several years for my Fibromyalgia. It helped a lot, didn't cure it, but really alleviated a lot of my muscle pain and fatigue. I would still be going except now I'm poor and unfortunately health insurance doesn't cover it.

As far as the "placebo effect" in general, not just regarding acupuncture, but with various remedies, I've always said WHO CARES? If I 'think' it works or if it 'really' works makes no difference as long as I'm feeling less pain!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by