Had my first "meaty jail break" today...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, Nov 4, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I thought these things were supposed to be fat AND lazy! But NOOOO....seems since yesterday was windy and cool, and being 2 weeks old I kept them in the brooder all day...well...they musta been bored! I really thought these would be the LAST bird to try to escape from the brooder...but when I came in from feeding this morning, one of my rubbermaid "instant brooder" tubs was sans ALL FIVE CHICKS! Low and behold...they were in the bedroom, had hopped out, must have wandered the kitchen, and gotten lost in the bedroom!

You always hear that they don't do much, just lay around and eat...park in front of the feeders all day unmoving...I guess someone forgot to tell the little guys in my kitchen about that part. They eat a lot, they poop a lot...and then they play hide and seek in the house! At least I know they are healthy and fit enough to escape the brooder...but man! I guess they got the memo that a fat bird is a frozen one around here and decided to work off some of the calories from breakfast [​IMG]

Broiler chicks - they really can be more fun than you would expect [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It was really windy here too. I came home yesterday to 2 of my Royal Palm turkeys over the fence. We've been trying to catch them since, with no luck, so maybe they'll fly back over. [​IMG]

3. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I bet you got a workout too catching them, then cleaning up after them. I've got some
    lazy coronation sussex and ameraucana chicks in the laundry room and hope they
    don't figure out how to get out., nothing like chicken poop all over the house.

4. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:LOL...they were all huddled up by the dog, so it was easy to catch them. Seems the laminate flooring was a tad bit chilly and once they found Ming, they curled up and napped on her blankie with her while I was out! It's a good thing she loves her "babies"...I wish I had thought to grab the camera tho...it was really kinda cute [​IMG]

The one good thing, in a gross way, is we have a puppy that LOVES poopies! I didn't find any poopies from the chicks...so I'm guessing our Fred helped out by cleaning up after them! Whatever you do...don't kiss that dog! But at least he did me a favor [​IMG] Gotta take all the small miracles and be thankful right?

Sir Birdaholic: Surely those turkeys will want dinner tonight [​IMG] Bet they fly home when they realize it's easier to eat what you have versus find their own stuff [​IMG] I have faith!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Well, they spent the night down the road in a tree last night, so hopefully they miss their flock, & free meals! [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Try calling "HEEEEERE TURKEY TURKEY! HEEEEERE TURKEY TURKEY, and shake some cracked corn around in a bowl......Mine will come
    a runnin' when I do that! [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

[​IMG] They do when they're home, but now they see me or DW, it's........ RUN!!!! [​IMG] We're trying to get them calmer by staying away now. They are pacing the outside of the fence now wanting in, but are too scared to accept help at this moment.

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks for the laugh!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  9. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Somebody told them what holiday happens this month, didn't they? Who explained Thanksgiving to the turkeys? Try and tell 'em you plan on having roast beef instead and see if they come home then [​IMG]

10. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Really windy here too, two of my Cornish X's escaped as well!! Thankfully, the dogs didn't eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by