Had my heart set on bantam cochins but worried about dirty feet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Groo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    I'm getting 6 or 8 chickens in the spring to raise with my grndsons. I want really friendly, small birds that are cold hardy (Maine winters!). After doing research, I decided Bantam Cochins were the perfect birds for us, but reading deeper, I see a number of people say their feet are always dirty. Is this a big issue?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

How will you keep them? (coop-run or free ranged, or both?)

My birds don't free range in Hawk Migration (about to lose their privileges here in FL) - when free ranged And/or the cage is pressure washed out - my feather legged and booted birdies are fine, if I'm sick for too long or we go on vacation I do tend to spend extra time making a wading area with the water bowl inside (so they have to get their feet wet to drink, about a 1/4 inch in a kiddo pool with the galvanized waterer on bricks in the center so they are not drinking foot wash water).

They mine clean overall.

3. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    The swimming pool is a great idea. I would think they might like that in the hot weather especially. I plan to have them in their run during the day while I'm at work and then free-ranging when I'm home. I was going to put a course sand on the floor of the run. Thanks for your response. I can't wait til Spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by