Had my little Nigerian, disbudded yesterday…after care?

RedStickLA

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
South Louisiana
What to y’all do to take care of them after???

I had Bella, my little Nigerian, disbudded yesterday. Should I get some antibiotic spray to spray on it? The lady that did it said for now just leave it as it is but once the scabs start to pull away I could spray some on it then because the area underneath may be moist. I am just worrying and want to make sure I take care of it right.

I had to walk away when they did it…poor baby!
th.gif
I felt so bad for her. As soon as they were done I cuddled her for a little bit and she calmed right down and seemed fine. She is bouncing around today just fine. She almost made me have a heart attack today when she jumped up onto the picnic table and took a flying leap off before I could stop her. Crazy little goat has stolen every ones heart!
love.gif

Mitzi

Never done nothing for the pasture kind...also didn't do anything for the show ones for the kid...nothing had ill effects

I agree with Kate there as sometimes the scab can get knocked off and it does bleed I use Furall also especially if its fly season. It also helps dry them up. Yep the first 1 is the hardest...hopefully she has a friend to keep her company ...They forget it after a few minutes, mine do and run to mom really fast .

Quote:
Thanks Chatychick... Until mid December when I get my second baby...I am her friend and our dogs and cats keep her company. For now she is staying in my home in a puppy play pen. And believe it or not she is doing better than any puppy I have ever house trained. When I take her out of the play pen I bring her outside set her in the grass and she pees. She has only had one accident and that was on a blanked that was on the floor…which I think she thought was grass.
tongue.png

Mitzi

Sounds like she is doing Great and I have kept them in the house in a playpen before and they do well. As long as she isnt out all alone when the weather is bad. I have had mine in the house that were bottle raised for months and they are fine. Are you doing cocci prevention? Its not hard all you need is some Sulmet 12.5% to add to the bottle. I start them this way as its hard to treat if it gets out of hand. Also they make a feed for cocci prevention also. Hang in there and she sounds like she will be fine.

I spray with furall and leave them alone. Sometimes they may pout and hide. Some act like nothing has happened. Watch for a really depressed overly lethargic behavior. Not wanting to nurse or do anything.

Other than that they're fine. Few weeks the scabs will come off. If they don't come off completely you'll probably have scurs. I'm sure they'll be fine though.
smile.png

Quote:
I have not started yet but I talked to the lady about the Cocidiosis Prevention, Worming Schedule & Vaccinations...and I plan on getting the Sulmet when I get the Furall. I did not make it to the feed store today like I had planned so tomorrow I will go pick it up.

I enjoyed talking to this lady...she was a wealth of information. The woman I purchased Bella from gets this lady to disbud her kids and it’s who she purchased her stock from. For years she had ran a "grade A" Nigerian dwarf goat dairy. Now that she is older she has cut back and sold her dairy business but still has a small scale operation going. She has a very nice place. It also gave me another contact for purchasing my 2nd kid…just in case the other breeder has all boys.
wink.png
She has several does due in mid Dec. too.
Thanks!
Mitzi

Back
Top Bottom