Had some Silkies hatch a day early today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BamaChicken, Dec 31, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Here are a few of the cuties. Some more hopefully will hatch. i think I have 8 so far. They are hatching in the neighbors sportsman so I can't run out and look. They brought these to me earlier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    I want to give them kisses [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Gorgeous! Are those buffs?

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Julie, they are just beautiful!!!!!!

5. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes, they are buffs and the one light one at the edge of the picture is a splash. I have some of the prettiest buff chicks right now. I need to take a few more pictures of the ones that have feathered in good..

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What is a buff splash? i heard you mention before that you have a buff splash hen, but I have never heard of that.

7. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    It is a Splash hen splashed with buff. It is what happens sometimes when Splash has been used to clean up the black feathers in the tails of buffs. The one I have is an excellent type from great bloodlines. She turned up in eggs I got that were supposed to be blue/splash. I have not had much chance in the last 1 1/2 years of breed time to experiment as I was between roos a few times. This is really the first year I have been able to hatch any chicks. I have about ten hatched from her right now that I am interested to see how they turn out. They hatch either very light buff with white stripes down their backs or very light blue and i mean light , some with a little buff around the eyes some not. They have just started feathering in and the light blue ones have light buff on top of the blue feathering right now. I can't wait to see how they turn out. The buff white ones are a mix between white and buff right now. I will take some pics when they feather in. I will decide if i want to experiment further or just sell them as pets. they are all very typey.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You're not kiddin' on the typey! nice clutch!

9. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I would drive to Bama to get some of those...They are beautiful

Please put me on your waiting list for silkies.... [​IMG]

10. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Well you aught to drive down and buy some in about six weeks. I will have started chicks available then. Where in the world is Nashville Ga. Some how I have missed that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by