Had the Egg song this morning and no EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jaygood787, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    MY 20 week old sex link did quite the egg song thing morning and woke me up. I thought for sure the first egg was comming and it never happened. Is this common? Im hoping to see an egg tommorow....

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    It definitely happens with new layers. I had one girl lay her first egg on Thursday, then on Friday she sat in the nest box for over an hour. She moved every piece of pine shaving and sang the song when she "finished." No egg. She just liked the idea of it, I guess!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    My 1 and two year old hens sing sometimes, just to sing!!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The same "call" is often used for fear, intruders, bickering among the flocks, etc. I can rarely tell the difference in its intent. [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yep, as Fred's Hens says.....that 'song' is something that signifies eggs, startle, noise, anger, or anything that disrupts the chickens feeding day....so don't always expect there to be eggs.

6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    that's good to hear... yesterday (week 19 day 1) we got our first egg... in the middle of the afternoon I heard a ruckus and thought something was in the run, but nothing was there. When the kids went out to close up there was an egg on the ground. Guess that was what all the noise earlier was all about.

Fred's Hens :

The same "call" is often used for fear, intruders, bickering among the flocks, etc. I can rarely tell the difference in its intent. [​IMG]

7. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    kk this is gonna sound wierd but sometimes they become jealous of the other layer my very old hen does this because she sees all of the other hens wanting to lay so she goes in sits and does nothing then gets up lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by