had the Mareks vaccine medicated starter or no?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Merrymouse, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hi All

About to go buy my supplies for my chickie babies. I had the vaccinated against Mereks do I need medicated chick starter or not? I plan on shopping today so thanks in advance for your help[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Marek's vaccine does not correlate to medicated/unmedicated feed at all. It is your choice whether to use medicated feed or not. Some people use it, just because, while others choose not to use it. The medication is Amprolium. It is a thiamine blocker. Thiamine is an essential vitamin that the cocci need to replicate. There are natural ways to give your chicks a healthy immune system so they will not get sick by cocci or the other pathogens found in every yard. BTW, cocci is a natural flora found in every chicken gut. It's only when the bad guys outnumber the good guys that the chicken gets ill. You can load their guts with good guys by giving them fermented feed or probiotics, and by giving them a plug of sod from your yard (not treated with herbicides/insecticides).

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If this is your first time with Chicks?....medicated starter is the best.....I only use medicated and not my first rodeo....Chicks are then protected and build up an immunity to coccoid......

Cheers!

4. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Thank you!

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your so welcome! :)

Best of luck with the Chicks!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by