Had the most intersting experience at the petstore today...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sumatra503, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I had a few extra Coturnix chicks and no one was buying, so an idea struck me. I gathered 2 up in a critter keeper and went on down to the local pet store with them. She loved them and asked me how much I wanted for them and how many I had. She had never seen a quail before, let alone raised them and she was very intrigued by them. I took one out and it sat on her hand fro a while as we talked about their care and what sort of cage they needed, etc. She told me to come back Wednesday with more.

Today I loaded up 4 Coturnix chicks and 3 extra button chicks as well as one adult button and Killer, my coturnix male and headed on down. I got Killer out and set him on her shoulder so she could pet him and see how big coturnix got and how calm they can be. Well, Killer got scared by something and flew all the way across the store. I tracked him down and explained to her that they can fly, but not like a regular bird. She loved Killer and kept trying to buy him from me, which I turned down.

Long story short, I sold 7 babies today and all the people in the store were very excited to see them. I printed her up a nice care sheet and told her where to purchase the feed for them. She was very interested in their proper care.

I have known her for a few years now and she is very responsible with her animals and they are all very healthy, unlike what is generally thought of when we think Pet Store.

2. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That's good for you and the store, the only problem is people not knowing how to care for them. I would print off an information sheet for every two chicks you sell. That way the buyers are informed and know what to do. Plus it will help the feed store because it attracts business. A triple win there as long as people care for them properly. Great marketing skills.[​IMG]

3. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Songster

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    I have a feed store that will sell my coturnix chicks.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I saw some Button Quail for sale at one of my local pet stores the other day. In a cage between the Cockatoos and the finches! [​IMG]

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:Yea and sell for a whole lot more too lol
    If it was at a feed store shouldnt they have the proper feed for them ?

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just really hope they emphasize the birds should be in pairs to avoid complications later [​IMG]

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:ya, I wouldnt sell birds at a Pet Store. How well the birds are cared for at a Pet Store might not carry on to new owners who buy them because they are cute.

8. bluere11e

bluere11e Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    Quote:I would like to get a copy of your care sheet.. Is that possible?

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Songster

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I would like to get a copy of your care sheet.. Is that possible?

Ooh! Me too!! Please and thank you!

10. shamblescross

shamblescross Chirping

Jan 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    awww..... I wish I could find quail in a pet store around here..... might have a better chance at getting more females than at the auction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: