1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had This Chick Hatch Out of a White Egg Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hatcherguy86, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hatcherguy86

Hatcherguy86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    Jennings County, IN
    I hatched out a barnyard mix of eggs and got this chick out of one of the white eggs. The only white egg laying chickens on the farm are White Leghorns and the only rooster is a RIR. So in short any ideas what breed it is and how it happened? FYI she/he is about a week and a half old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Determining accurate cross breeds in a barnyard mix are relatively impossible, but it doesn't look like it could be a RIR/Leghorn.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If its only possible mother (being from a white egg) is a White Leghorn, and its only possible father (the only rooster) is a Rhode Island Red, then the only possibility is that it is a Rhode Island Red/Leghorn mix. The offspring of different breed parents isn't a true breed; it is a mixed breed.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Agree with this...not sure what you're asking if you know the only possible parents. Parents of two different breeds give mixed breed offspring.

5. Hatcherguy86

Hatcherguy86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    Jennings County, IN
    What I was interested in was how it got its color. The RIR (rooster) is straight RIR and not cross bred anywhere down the line (2) time fair champion. The White Leghorn (hen) is the 3rd generation leghorn at the farm from a pure bred line. Where does the Black come from??

6. BenHogan

BenHogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    I have seen mixed breed chicks demonstrate some amazing color changes as well as see colors show up that I cannot explain at all such as black showing up from a red parent.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leghorns carry dominant white, which can cover a multitude of other colors. Crossing them usually results in a mostly white bird with flecks of color, but recessive genes can do weird things. You sound very positive on the parents, so it's got to be recessive genetics at play. My first thought, personally, was those are not the correct parents as I agree the color is unlikely.

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Bluntly put: this claim is made. Chick says otherwise.

Bottom line: white leghorns have dominant white. This chick does not have it.

At the very minimum, there is a white leghorn that is not pure for dominant white* or the egg did not come from alleged breeds.

* there are leghorns sold for the egg market that are either breed or color crosses. Color cross example would be California White- cross of California Gray over White.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by