had to break down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banditgin, Dec 18, 2007.

1. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    and buy some eggs as my two haven't laid an egg in a long time (one since thanksgiving, the other in about a week). wouldn't have been a bigg deal except I promised my oldest girl we'd make cupcakes.

do hens not lay in the winter?

2. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I had to also! I've been reading on here that they slow down this time of year, but I'm not getting any. I keep searching the yard incase they tried laying elsewhere, but I ain't finding anything. Oh well. Can't wait till spring!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My little bantams are still laying - snow and all. I only have three little hens, and I get one egg a day [​IMG]

No extra heat and no extra light provided - I thought for sure they would stop by now - in fact there was a break of a couple of days and I gave up looking for eggs then - till my DH found 2 on one day!

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I had to buy a box of 10 eggs. I only have 2 hens and they had not laid anything for a couple of weeks. Now I have 16 eggs.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I had to buy a doz. eggs at Thanksgiving...First time in 4 years without enough eggs to bake with...atleast now they have started to pick up and I am getting eggs from my new pullets at 28 weeks!!.....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  6. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 BRs and they are still laying about one a day. They love the snow though! My husband put out fresh water yesterday afternoon, they drank a little from it and went back to eating the snow outside! funny girls!

7. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We have two teenage girls, one lays sometimes the other doesn't anymore. We also have one hen that's just over 1yo. She was giving us an egg a day, now it is few and far between. We have been buying eggs for two months now. In the spring we will be getting 3-5 more hens. Can't decide though if I want to buy chicks or try my hand at hatching.

Monica

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    yea we are having to buy eggs from the store now,, yuck !!!

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd have enough eggs if I didn't find new recipes for pound cake, custard and EGG NOG on this darn forum!!! [​IMG]

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I had to buy eggs from the farmers market. I'm getting one egg about every other day from 4 pullets. It also looks like the EEs may be starting to moult, feathers all over the coop. I'll be glad when the days get longer and they start laying again. I miss my eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by