Had to bring a chick inside due to cold and need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by max470, Nov 8, 2014.

1. max470

max470 New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    We just found out yesterday that our Banty hen hatched a chick. She has two nests of eggs. She has been sitting on one and the Banty rooster, who we thought had flown over the fence, is sitting on the other. The chick followed her into the yard and then back to the nest yesterday afternoon. This morning the chick was not following her. It fell over and was unable to get up. We stood it upright. The hen was trying to get it to follow her but it fell over onto its back with its feet kicking in the air and could not right itself. We didn't know what to do....so we brought it inside assuming it was about to die from the cold. For 2 or 3 hours it barely moved and shivered under the light. Now it's moving fine and cheeping at the top of its' lungs.

I'm assuming that now that it has been inside under a light that it has to stay inside. Does anyone know if that's true? Will it be able to go back out once feathered or do we have a winter roomie?

Thanks for any and all advice

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

My personal opinion would be that you have a new winter roomie!! If you have separated the chick it would be hard to reintroduce it back as they could see it as threat and try to kill it. Was there food and water nearby for the chick when mum brought it out of the nest?
    When mums leave the nest with chicks they are bringing them out to show them how to eat and drink. Maybe it was feeling weak and that's why it's falling over. Now you have it indoors under heat make sure it has water and chick crumb/crumbles available at all times.

Good luck with your new roomie hope all goes well for you :frow

3. max470

max470 New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi! Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why she brought the chick out. It was only 3-4 days old; A little too young to be showing off. We had a hen go stubbornly broody this spring and, not having a mature rooster at the time, we bought her some chicks to mother. She kept them away from the rest for at least 2 or 3 weeks. We did finally get to her nest today while she was out eating. She has it between a shed and a fence in a space so narrow only a banty could love on a pile of rocks. Apparently this is way better than any of the nest boxes. We took down a section of fence. There were two dead chicks, 4 eggs with little holes, and 6 more eggs. We removed the chicks, took the holey eggs and put in some nesting material with the remaining eggs. One of the holey eggs had a chick that was still alive but the shell was damaged. We put it under a light on a damp paper towel. I followed the Assisted Hatching post. It hatched but only survived a couple of hours. This was my first experience with a home hatched chick so I'm pretty much guessing but it looked as though where the shell was damaged the inner membrane still had a fair amount of blood in the veins even though the chick had absorbed the yolk. We borrowed an incubator and are going to take the fence back down tomorrow and remove the rest of the eggs from her nest and probably take the eggs the rooster is sitting on, too. Yes, it's really a rooster and he seems to be a better mother than she is; He runs out, eats a little, grabs a quick drink and heads for the nest (also on a pile of rocks). I don't know if we'll have any success with incubating but thought we'd give it a try. It would be nice if we could hatch a buddy for the chick we rescued from the yard. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your kindness in replying.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If the chick was three days old that's right for her to bring the chick out so it can eat and drink. The chicks can only survive for three days after hatching without food and water. They live off the yolk sac they absorb during hatching untill that point. Each hen is also different to how they raise their chicks no two hens are the same.

The eggs with holes in you removed sound normal. That's just pipping its part of the hatching process. When the chick is in the egg and the oxygen becomes low they make a small hole to allow oxygen in. After this point they rest for upto 24 hours so they can absorb the yolk and the veins and blood vessels into their body. After this point they begin to zip the egg round I can only describe it as munching through the egg to make a cap to push off then they can emerge from the egg. If you see blood the chick is not ready to hatch.

I must admit I've never heard of a roo sitting on a nest before!!

Good luck in the future :frow

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    "Hatching eggs 101" is a great article by Sally Sunshine on the hatching process :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by