Had to cull 3 Coturnix...leg meat is green? caution: PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimandrich, Aug 11, 2011.

1. kimandrich

kimandrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I noticed 3 of my quail had broken or "limp" legs. They couldn't get around to eat or drink very well. so I decided we needed to cull them. They were about 9/10 weeks old, all female. We cleaned them up, as we were going to eat them because we don't believe in wasting, and saw that all 3 had green meat where their broken legs were. Is this normal? I didn't know if it was bruising or what. I did some searching around and couldn't find much online. Hopefully someone on here can help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I really don't know much about the disease, myself, but I just read about "Green Muscle Disease" a few days ago and this definitely reminded me of it. Could be a possibility.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I shot a wild turkey once that was just like that on one of its legs. I attributed it being shot previously and the wounds going septic. Best of luck with the rest of your birds.

4. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Where are your shoes [​IMG]

5. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I think I may have just barfed in my mouth a little. [​IMG]

But seriously, I hope yo ufind out what caused that... Is there a bad smell like they are rotten?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by