Had to cull a sick drake today

un-named543

Songster
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
SE Minnesota
Even with a vet visit and 2 rounds of Baytril, he couldn't shake the rapid breathing. So sadly, I culled. I chose the broomstick method, without the broom...I held him firmly and pulled his neck hard. I couldn't tell if he was struggling or if it was natural body movements, so I did more wringing...won't go into detail. It seemed to take forever for him to be still, yet I've been told a broken neck is instant death.
This was hard for me, he was a fine looking drake otherwise.
PLEASE tell me this movement was normal, or if I did something wrong so I never do it again!
Thank you :(

The flapping was just nervous reflex and meant nothing. If you snapped his neck then he was already dead. The flapping was just reflexive.

I am sorry. I have culled a lot of birds over the years and it is never easy. It gets easier, but it is never easy. You do what you have to do, though. Don't beat yourself up.

Good luck.

The flapping was just nervous reflex and meant nothing. If you snapped his neck then he was already dead. The flapping was just reflexive.

I am sorry. I have culled a lot of birds over the years and it is never easy. It gets easier, but it is never easy. You do what you have to do, though. Don't beat yourself up.

Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I do feel better now.

Back
Top Bottom