1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had to Cull ~ Bum Leg on Newly Hatched Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Feb 22, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    It is not spraddle leg....
    The leg actually bends at the joint & then turns in plus the outer toes curls under the foot. The joint looks very red.

I tried a bandaid to get the legs where they should be & then put another bandaid on the foot to stop the curling toe. Then I taped her down to a box on that non slip shelf liner stuff......then I put rolled paper towels taped down to keep her propped up with a towel behind her. Hoping that she as to try & stand on it???? kind of to force the leg out????

I don't know what else to do. If I take all the bandaids off she just scoots around on her belly using her wings & 1 leg. She seems normal other than the leg/foot issue.

Any ideas???? She is so cute! & such a little trooper.....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Just had a similar problem. Had to cull. It isn't going to get any better. [​IMG] If anything it will learn to hobble around if at all and will be a sucky life! Good luck!

Chef

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I know it's hard to hear but you'd be better off culling her now. A leg issue like that won't respond to splinting.

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That's what I was afraid of.. .... What is the best way to cull her? [​IMG]

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I had one like that and the leg & toes straightened out w/ the use of bandaid splints. I would at least give her 24-48 hours to see how she does, as long as she's able to eat and drink.

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    She is normal in every other way. I give her sips of water & I haven't started the food cause she was just hatched yesterday. Poor baby! [​IMG]

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well I think I am going to have to cull, she just can't stand up & she just lays there floundering.

My question is....what is the best way to cull a baby chick? [​IMG]
    Thanks

8. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    To late!!! We had to cull her our own way. [​IMG] [​IMG]

No one answered me in regards to the best way to cull a baby chick.

9. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    How did you do it? I guess I'd just snip off the head with kitchen shears...ug, I'm sorry [​IMG]

10. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I am afraid to ask but what does cull mean? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by