Had to cull my first chick this morning. :( :( :(

ChickenPox

Songster
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Middle GA
Poor baby had horribly deformed feet. Like missing toes and could only waddle around on its stumps. I knew I had to do it.

I chose the sharp scissors, hold over trash can, turn head and snip method.
sad.png
I used more force than was actually necessary, it seemed so easy. So I FREAKED when the garbage bag started moving a few seconds after my snip and drop. I wish someone had reminded me that baby chicks are still chickens and will "wiggle" after the deed is done. Digging through the bottom of the can to make sure I didn't just hurt it worse, I ran across a site I didn't want to see.
sickbyc.gif
At least I know that the baby went lightning fast.

That sucked.
hit.gif

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
I am sorry. It's never easy, but you did what was right for the chick. And IMO the method you chose was the quickest, most peaceful method for the chick.
hugs.gif

Cetawin

Chicken Beader
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
hugs.gif
I think I am facing a similar situation with 2 silkies youngsters....their toes are horribly curled and they are walking on the sides of them. I am trying little shoes first to give them a chance but....just not sure.

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
Sorry.
hit.gif

We lost a chick last week. I thought I was going to have to cull her and wasn't looking forward to it. I got off easy.
Now they're on that great roost in the sky with the almighty rooster watching over them as they peck and scratch for delicious goodness.

DH

Last edited:

Top Bottom