Had to cull my first chick today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Woods_Woman, May 18, 2010.

1. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I had some serama babies hatch over the weekend..Cute as can be. Had to help one out of the shell, after 38 hrs it had most of the shell off but would not push it's way out to complete the hatch, so I finally assisted after noticing it was becoming shrink wrapped. I should have just let it go, cause the last 3 days it has rapidly gone down hill after all my efforts. This afternoon it was really suffering I thought it would just die, but the baby just kept gasping and living on unable to even hold its self up. Finally I had to make the decision to just help the poor thing along, I couldn't handle the suffering anymore. I couldn't bring myself to make use of my scissors, instead I used my freezer and a ziplock baggie. I feel bad, I wish I could stomach an easier more humane way. I've read various threads here on the subject, but it's just never easy when your the one that has to do the deed. RIP lil serama baby. [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm very sorry. That must have been a difficult thing for you, but it was good you were able to do what needed to be done.

3. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry.

4. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Thanks..I feel better knowing it's not suffering.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm so sorry. That's probably how I would have done it as I wouldn't have been able to do it with my own hands. You are very brave to do it. It was a commendable, humane act.

6. fanniefarkle

fanniefarkle Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    North Georgia
    you did a difficult thing, but out of love and compassion for the little chick. I feel for you.

7. Tikka

Tikka Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    I'm so sorry.

What do you do with scissors? [​IMG]

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have made this suggestion in the past but you might also consider having some valerian tincture on hand. It is an herbal sedative. I have put baby birds to "sleep" with it before when something was too wrong for them to survive. No suffering. With enough of it they just gently go to sleep. It also makes culling an animal you are not going to eat a bit less traumatic. The upside is if your really upset afterwards you can put a few drops in your tea.

9. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] Kudos to you for doing the right thing.
    When we take responsibility for hatching these eggs, we have to also do right by them. It's not easy making these decisions, and it shouldn't be. You did a good thing for that baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by