1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had to cull my first hen today...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 16, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I have been doing everything I can to keep her from eating eggs. This morning I caught her in the laying box, yolk all over her beak and clear up her legs. She had finished one egg and was getting ready to start on the next one. I have just had it. My husband helped me and it was quick, but still not easy to do. I am just over her doing this and am afraid she might have taught others.

I think I was losing at least 2-4 eggs a day. So she had her last egg meal today and is now in chicken heaven.

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    You did what you had to do [​IMG] Good job. Did ya'll process her? I had a barred rock that was pecking the other girls to a point that she was starting to eat them alive...I had to cull her and I felt horrible about it. She did give us a good meal though so it wasn't a total waste.

3. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    No, I didn't have the time or desire to butcher her today...culled her humanely and have now moved on to the rest of my day. I am still looking for someone who can process them for me. When I am ready to cull more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by