Had to cull our rooster. I have a (perhaps) NSFW question.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Heather4nier, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Heather4nier

Heather4nier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Unfortunately, we had to cull and process him. He was a beautiful Buff Orpington, 5 months old, but he was super-aggressive. Upon processing (I.e, removal of innards) we found his gonads were HUGE!! Literally, the size of a pullet egg. Each. Has anyone else experienced this? I know often times at this age you should find bean-sized organs. But this large seemed a bit crazy to us. [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The bean size reference seems to have come from Cornish cross, that are processed at 8ish weeks. When I process cockerels around 5-9 months, they're huge, like you're talking about. Absolutely no way to miss those things.

I did do a necropsy on a male chick that was about 5 weeks, they were rice grain size then.

3. Heather4nier

Heather4nier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Well, this was our first cockerel processing. I guess we were a bit surprised as to see how quickly they grow up, so to speak. No worries, then! We'll be well prepared for the next one, should he make it known his desire is for cold steel. Peace, love, and chickens...;)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That does sounds a bit larger than usual, might account for his super sized aggression.
    Most cockerels I've harvested were less than 16 weeks and had kidney bean sized gonads.
    Curious if others will chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by