Had to cull

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Knittycat, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I had to cull a cockrel today. [​IMG] He'd been rather aggressive and pecky for the the past week despite corrective measures., but today he pecked a hole in the back of one of the pullets. He just wouldn't leave anybody alone. He had to go. The little jerk didn't even have the good grace to get big enough to eat before he made it plain he wasn't going to work out. [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] sorry but sometimes that is what we have to do.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] sounds like you made the right choice.

AC

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I would have killed him too. The ones that aggressive I don't want passing their genes along. If you want him to go to freezer camp, you could have seperated him until he grew out some more (just as an option for future reference) [​IMG]

5. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I don't have the facilities to separate him out. I've already got the bloodied easter egger pullet in isolation til her feathers grow back in. I'm especially bummed because he was the welsummer cock I was planning on breeding to my easter egger pullets for olive eggers. [​IMG] Oh well. I guess I'll have to buy some olive eggs from alicefelldown or something. *sigh* Everybody in the brooder seems much happier now though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by