Had to get rid of the dog, he killed my chicken(s), maybe even cats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sunshyne276, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    This was truly the hardest thing i've ever had to do.

I have never gotten rid of a pet. My pets, to me, are permament family members.

A few months ago, this big dog came to my property.
    He was skittish, but warmed up to us, we kept him around, fed him, took care of him.
    He acted a little too interested in my cats, so we kept him chained outside.
    He would bark at my cats, and rush at them, when they'd come near his area.
    But, they learned not to go near him.

I have had some cats turn up missing (weeks ago), mostly males, so I thought they went off, seeking females,
    (I like to spay and neuter, but they were all young still, and we just hadn't been able to, yet)
    but I advertised for them, NO calls. Still keeping hope that someone took them in.
    I've worried about the "what ifs", as far as, did they go into his area, and he got them?
    But, thought I was worrying about nothing.

Today, I noticed some missing hens.
    Thought they may have been up in the woods, free-ranging, as they do.
    Went out front, and there he was with one of my hens, and it was too late!!!
    He was growling at my other dogs, and cats, vicious over his kill!!
    He was even aggressive with us, when we went to take her from him, had to fire the gun to startle him away.

I noticed another pile of feathers, nearby in his area. [​IMG]

I quickly got ready, and took him to the pound.

I feel there was nothing else I could have done!!
    He's not only a chicken killer, but then aggressive with US over the chicken???
    I seriously do wonder if he killed/ate my cats. =*(

Anyway, I loved him, but I had to do it. For the safety of my chickens AND cats.

But still, i'm grieving over the loss of my chicken(s) AND a dog.

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm so sorry! That's terrible but I think you made the right call. You should always be loyal to the pets that have been there the longest and for most of their lives. [​IMG]

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

((hugs)) from a neighbor, just south of you in Abingdon.

You did the right thing and perhaps someone without chickens or other small pets will take him in.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry. That's a double tragedy.

Imp

5. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Sorry for your losses and hope time will help mend the wounds [​IMG].

6. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    You did the right thing. Keep your chin up, I know how hard this must be ((((Hugs)))))

7. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    well, imo, he wasn't really your dog, kwim? As he was a stray you took in, tried to rehabilitate and found it was too much for you.

That's ok.

You did the right thing.

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I am so sorry for your losses [​IMG] . I also view a pet as a permanent family member; however in your shoes I would have done the same thing, for the sake of my other furry and feathered family members.

As for the missing cats, I would think you would find pieces of them, if he had killed them. Fur, bones, anything. I am not sayin he didn't, just making an observation. Personally I can't let questions remain un answered, so I would be out there digging around in his area.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and I think you did the right thing. [​IMG]

9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm sorry for your losses. It does sound like you did the right thing though. While a dog like that probably can be worked with to make him safe-er around other animals and people, it takes a lot of effort and dedication to do so with no guarantees in the end result. Someone may be able to work with him, but you have too many other souls to consider to try to work with a dog like that.

As to the missing cats, I wouldn't put it past a dog, but they don't generally devour all of an animal that large. I would think if they had wandered into his area and he had killed them that you would have at least found parts. Especially since a well-fed dog isn't likely to be hungry enough to eat all of the food you are feeding and a 4-8lb cat. My guess would be that they either wandered off following their hormones or coyotes.

10. KaityKatt26

KaityKatt26 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    I am sorry! I have a GSD who is a cat or any other small creature killer. It can't be trained out of her. So I train the smaller, at risk animals to stay clear of the dog pen. We have only had two cats go in and not come out. Unfortunetly, one we believe fell off the barn into the pen not meaning to go in there. She was my cat and I was ready to kill the dog for doing it. I had to remind myself it was her area and just was a tragic mistake. Some dogs can be trained to leave the poultry and other animals alone, even after a kill. I have a GR that was my best chicken killer. He now lays down and they climb on top of him. The goose follows him around like he is a goose himself! Unfortunetly, not all dogs can have the behavior trained out of them. It all depends on the dog's instict. You did what you felt was best for you and your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by