Had to have my husband cull sick chick.

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
I was so excited to get the chicks this last Friday. I talked to my kids that there is always a possibility that a couple might die. Well we had a little Barred Rock that wasn't thriving real well and would keep pasting up. I was keeping her bottom cleaned off and tried a few different thing that I found on this site. She started to do a little better on Saturday then back down hill from there. Tonight I had to drip water into her beak and tried to get her to eat. She was still pasting up all the time, so I just kept cleaning her bottom off. Checked on her a little while ago and she wasn't even able to stand and some of the other chicks had started pecking at her. I scooped her up and tried getting her to drink or eat and all she would do was lay with her eyes closed in my hand and fall to the side. I tried everything I could but she was suffering more so I had my husband cull her so she didn't have to suffer anymore. I just couldn't do it myself sense I tried for 3 days to keep her alive. I am a little sad but I am glad I can now focus on the other 23 chicks and spending time trying to have friendly chicks. Thanks for all the great advice on this site. It just wasn't enough for this little one.
sad.png

I'm so sorry that had to happen. But you know, I like the way you are handling it. I'm expecting my first batch (25) in a few weeks. I know that might happen to me as well. I think you have a big heart and you prepared yourself well. Something to be proud of.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom