Had to Help a Chick Hatch--first time. Hope She's ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EquestrianGal, Jun 30, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    She looks almost too young (feathers are thin), but she started pipping last night, had a substantial hole by 5 this evening then made no progress. After 24 hours, I think she was just tired out. We finally intervened, although I was nervous the whole time. She is peeping a lot and I think she is going to make it, but I am still worried.

I don't want to take her out of the bator--hoping she doesn't hurt the other eggs by running into them. Two others have pips [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Some times it can take them 36 hours or so from time of pip...but I am glad she is doing ok [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    wow--I had never heard of it taking that long. good to know! this had been over 24. but she is still peeping away, so hoping she is really ok

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    No way could I wait 36 hrs! I have helped several chicks from their shells after a long hatch attempt. Gotta be very careful around the vessels. A chick can bleed to death in just a few drops.

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    It will be fine..................do not be surprized if she sleeps a lot,and she will not hurt the ther eggs......
    Her talking to them will encourage them and often my hatched chicks lay on the unhattched eggs.
    I think it is warm but for what ever reason, it is very cute............
    Relax....have fun.................[​IMG] It will be fine
    Oh, one more thing.I still pace and worry every hatch like it was the first.........[​IMG]

6. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    she is doing great this morning and we had another hatch during the night. had to help her a very little bit at the end b/c the membrane had dried out and stuck to her feathers. I moistened it and got it loose and put baby back in incubator. she seems to be doing all right, now, too.

This is our first incubator hatch and I can tell there are humidity issues. we are definitely going to make some alterations before we try again.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by