Had to help a hatch today [Pics]** UPDATE** fluffy pics post 11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CoffeeCow, Dec 25, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    well, my big BO hatched out 2 chicks just fine, and it looked as if she stepped on one... I Saw it this morning when I opened the coop (about 7:00 AM) and mom and the 2 chicks were up eating, the top was smashed in pretty bad, but I saw beak, and saw it was breathing, so I went back inside to wait and see if it could get out on its own. I was a bit scared to try and help, and kinda wanted to see if it was strong enough to accomplish the task on its own.

About 10:00 AM, she had made no progress, and was peeping a lot, so I intervened. here is a pic when I got the egg out from under her.

[​IMG]

I used my pocket knife to gently chip away at the shell and the membrane. It took a little while, but I finally got the top of the egg off.

[​IMG]

She wiggled a little bit, and then straightened out her neck. She was wiggling a lot trying to get out, and at this point, it didn't take her long at all. I didn't want to pull the shell the rest of the way off for fear of breaking the umbilical cord and causing problems. She wiggled out on her own from here.

[​IMG]

I have never done this before, I was scared that I was hurting more than helping...
    When she got out, I snapped a quick pic of her, and lifted mom up and placed her under and crossed my fingers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went and checked on her after an hour or so, I lifted moms wing and there she was, almost fully fluffed out and standing there looking at me [​IMG]
    Went out just a few minutes ago, (of course I didn't have the camera) and she was out in front of mom, peeping at me [​IMG] she came up and jumped in my hand, looked at me, peeped as if to say "thanks", and hopped down and crawled back under mom.

I thought I would share this little story, this is my first time ever hatching eggs... That was scary, but turned out very very well.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] She is adorable! I've never helped to hatch an egg before ... I leave it to my overly motherly silkies who still hatch every egg I stick under them [​IMG] Congrats!

3. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    She is 90% feet hehe

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] That made me smile. Awesome!!

5. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    What a great Christmas Day story! Thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] Awwwwwww! I bet your heart was just pounding!!!!

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    what a sweet thing for you to do! what a heartwarming story! if you can, please post a pick of her all fluffed up! we would love to see more of her!

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Pocket knife? Wow, that's brave. Congrats. So cute how she's sleeping in your hand- birth isn't such an easy thing in the chicken world! [​IMG]

9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Incredible pictures. Sweet story. [​IMG]

10. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I tried to get a pic of her all fluffed up when I closed them up this evening, but she was buried deep under her mom, I will do my best to get one tomorrow

she is a cross between a Delaware (mom) and an EE (dad)

and to PepsNick, I keep my little knife in really good shape [​IMG] I have carried the same one for almost 15 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by