had to help poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 29, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    my chick was trying to poop and i saw the poop attached to something
    i grabbed a towel and pulled the poop... its was a piece of hay!!! do they need more grit?? i mix it in with their food..

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep a tuna can of grit available and refill when it is low...that way they get what they need.

3. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    How big should the grit be for the really young chicks? [​IMG]

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH brought home a bag of grit that indicated on the bag that it was 'starter'...forget the age of chicks it was recommended for but it is not very large. Not sure he understood that it came in various sizes...our local feed store and TSC did not carry grit for chicks when he asked last Spring.

I used sand for my chicks when they were young and everyone made it ok. They loved having the sand in the brooder...they ate it and took sand bathes. [​IMG]

5. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I have also found that plain yogurt is best for digestive problems (ie poop is too hard). I don't know how old your chicks are but when you first get them their digestive systems suck and you have to help them along. My flock just got killed last week but I still gave them yogurt at 6 weeks just to make sure. Plus they love it!

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    my chicks wont eat yogurt. or watermelon. or pineapple. but they like poop and bedding [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by