Had to hit my rooster with a scoop shovel today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MOChickenz, Sep 22, 2011.

1. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a rooster that is too big for his britches. I mean, if he had britches.

He came at me today while I was scooping old straw out of the coop. So now you know why I picked the scoop shovel.

I think we are having him for dinner on Saturday.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Sounds like a plan--what time should I be there? [​IMG]
    Before you do that though, do you want to keep him? I mean, if he's not needed, liked, whatever, go for the pot. But if you want to keep him, you can try to 'show him who's boss.' Embarrass him in front of his chicks by carrying him around for a while, until you are ready to let him down. I do that with all my roosters before they get the chance to jump at me. Seems to work so far; have 3 roo's and none of them have ever tried. Romeo does get this look in his eye when I pick up one of his hens & she starts squawking...he'll only get one chance though!

3. iceblue

iceblue New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    Thats why I name mine. Monday tuesday wendsday thursday friday saturday and sunday. If they get out of line they become dinner!

4. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Give that rooster a bubble bath in front of his girls...that'll show him!

5. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    Yeah, I don't feel like a rooster is worth any behavior modification efforts. They are either decent and continue to live here, or annoying and get a hot bath, with a side of dumplings.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Quote:Carrying him around, huh? Well, I'm new to all of this, but I didn't like that the little garden snake I threw into the pen kept getting stolen by the roo. So I picked him up, took the snake away and gave it to the ladies. Then I held him while he watched them play the keep away game with it. I put him down, and he did it again, so I did it again. Since then he has stopped doing his dance when I get near his ladies, and he no longer fluffs up his feathers at me. Today I stared him down, and fluffed my feathers out, and did my chicken dance in his direction. He backed down either because he thought I was crazy (very likely) or because he knows I'm the head roo. Not sure which! I'm hoping I can teach him some manners so that I can keep him around, otherwise into the pot he goes!

8. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    We have a king roo (3 roos in total) that started chasing the kids, hubby and me and I mentioned it to another chicken keeper and she said she had read that you should pop them on the head a couple of times kinda like a fast tap because that's what they do to each other. So.......I'm out there one day last week and sure enough, he came flying at me several times! I popped him on the head a could of times, which is kinda tricky to do while they flying at you, but he just kept coming! I then started growling like a chicken does, only much louder and clapped my hands in front of him and he ran like the wind! I chased him around the yard for a good 5 minutes, growling and clapping my hands and he hasn't been near me since! Not sure what my neighbors think but hey ho.....gotta love them chickens!

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I have never ever had a mean roo, or a mean turkey tom. Ever.

I have friends, though, that their backyard is littered with rakes and baseball bats and brooms. They said not to walk around without one, because their roo would get ya. He's a mean one and has huge spurs. They were right!

I wouldn't put up with it, but I wonder why my guys never get mean? I guess I shouldn'ty question int.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by