had to make a horrible decesion

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old geezer, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    at first i thought it was my favorite hen suzy picking raw the backs of my 2 SLW hens gracie and weezer-------but for the past 5 days , suzy has been ing the dog coop being a broody mom..i was drinking a cup of coffee leaning against the run door watching my girls---pretty patty my white leghern ran over to weezer and tore a chunk out of back---poor weezer just squatted and started chicken crying----i quickly opened the door and booted patty in the behind---picked up weezer and started to comfort her-----decesion done---i love patty also --but i could not let this go on any longer now that i knew who the culprit was------patty waas put in a dog crate and brought back to the farm up the road----i sorta hoofed her over the 8 foot high fence---flew a bit but still landed with a thud---she just sat there looking at me with her once regal tail now down and looking pretty dejected----she didn't make it easy to leave ----as i got in the jeep she ran to the fence calling as i left ---- i now feel like the worlds greatest piece of sh-t---it had to be done --but i feel really hollow inside---i'd go get her back--but i can't build a 3rd coop and run , the back yard would look like a chicken village

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    So did you basically just throw her out? I'm confused. [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I felt similar when I had to cull my favorite gal for the very same reason this morning. I just couldn't look at all my other bald girls any more. [​IMG]

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

[​IMG]

5. old geezer

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    i brought her back to the farm i got her from--so , i would like to say rehomed her--but throwing her out fits also--i do not shrug off my decesions , i don't normally make excusses and i take acountability for my actions --i was stuck--scarafice 1 ,patty the aggressor---- or the 2 victims being ripped apart , gracie and weezer----like i said---i feel bad cause i had to get rid of a chicken i loved like any other pet

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:WHAT??? You had a hen pecking another, so you took her back to another farm up the road and pitched her over the fence? You "hoofed" her over an 8 foot fence and left her?

How about figuring out WHY she was doing it? Taking measures to prevent it? Ever heard of pinless peepers? Do they have enough protein and feed available at all times? Too crowded?

I hope you didn't post this for sympathy, you won't find much. My chickens are not pets, per se, but they do deserve a decent chance at life, and if that isn't possible, they deserve a merciful, quick death. NOT abandonment. Your "love" is heartless.

Just remember what my mother always said:
    What goes around, comes around.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I had some hen pecking this winter, I upped their protein and gave them more things to entertain themselves with and that resolved the issue.

I am sorry but I rather have to agree with Ranchhand. You didn't handle it very well, and that poor chicken is going to suffer now. I hope you find it in your heart to get her and find a solution to what is really happening.

Ema

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:WHAT??? You had a hen pecking another, so you took her back to another farm up the road and pitched her over the fence? You "hoofed" her over an 8 foot fence and left her?

How about figuring out WHY she was doing it? Taking measures to prevent it? Ever heard of pinless peepers? Do they have enough protein and feed available at all times? Too crowded?

I hope you didn't post this for sympathy, you won't find much. My chickens are not pets, per se, but they do deserve a decent chance at life, and if that isn't possible, they deserve a merciful, quick death. NOT abandonment. Your "love" is heartless.

Just remember what my mother always said:
    What goes around, comes around.

Couldn't agree more...

9. old geezer

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    i seem to have drawn the ire of the good byc members--i have never sought sympathy for any thing i have done--i let the Good Lord judge me----first of all , when i got to the farm up the road---howard was gone , the chicken coop and run was locked with the usual chain and lock---hoofed over the 8 foot fence was probally the wrong term to be use---let's say i helped her with a catapult action to fly over the fence as her right wing is clipped on the primary feathers---the so called thud was not very bad by any means , probally the same as you or i tripping and falling on the lawn--only thing hurt on the hen was her pride---love---i know love , been married to the same woman for 48 yrs--gave a kidney to granddaughter and took a bullet saving a good friend in a wasted war---yes--i know love---read what is written , i hope thumping your chest for my actions has made you feel superior and a good judge of character and putting up for all to see----as for me--i will not up-set any one anymore on byc ---byc has many fine members , has been helpful and a good learning tool---me--i'am done and outta here ,

10. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    You needed to find a better solution to this problem.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by