Had to open bator- will it hurt an unpipped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    All our eggs but one hatched yesterday. For some reason, my bator had a weird temperature problem today, and it was starting to get too hot. I had to open it to adjust it... which I did quickly, without taking the entire lid off. But, I had to do it twice to get it right.

I thought the one egg was probably not going to do anything, but it cheeped! So, will my opening the bator hurt his chances if he hasn't yet pipped?? I got the temp & humidity right back to where it should have been within quickly.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    It should be o.k.

I open mine all the time and still get 80% hatch rates (8/10)

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Should be fine. If it's not pipped don't think it will hurt a thing.

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Just keep an eye on the humidity. I had a chick pip on my last hatch and it ended up suffocating because it couldn't get through the membrane. At least that is my theory.

5. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Well, I have another question....

Everyone else hatched Saturday or Sunday. This little guy isn't rocking back and forth, and I would have thought he was a goner except he peeped at me through the shell.

Is there a point where he needs to get "cracking" or else? I know "helping" isn't a good thing, but if he is going to die, I want to help before that happens.

Thanks a bunch!
    Holly

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Personally I have no problem helping chicks make it out of the egg. With that in mind sometimes chicks haven't developed quite right and they won't make it anyway. But I'll give them any chance that I can.

All you need is a Q-tip, warm water, and patience. I start by where they pip and wet the membrane as I chip away the egg.

I got in a slight hurry with the first one that I helped and it bled a lot and didn't make it. That usually happens when you get down near where the chick attaches to the membrane which attaches to the egg and go too fast. It goes fast and you have to slow down and let parts of the process proceed naturally.

The second chick that I helped out of an egg made it clear in no uncertain terms that it wanted out. As soon as I had about half of the egg peeled back and the membrane wetted it pushed with its little legs and flopped out into my hand. it was like "Hellloooooo". I already had it in a warm hand towel so I wrapped it up and marveled at the whole process.

I just had to help another late hatcher with my last clutch of eggs. I lost one who suffocated by not being able to peck through the membrane so I had a strong feeling that I was dealing with a low humidity issue as they hatched. I had to open the incubator to get 9 chicks out that were cramped and stuffed everywhere.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I keep a mister bottle of water for when I have to open the box during the last three days. I do what I need to do then just before I close it up again I lightly mist the yet-to-hatch eggs. In a few minutes the humidity is right back where it should be.

8. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thank you. I may give it a try. It obviously wasn't a problem with temp/humidity, so he may not make it, but I don't think he's going to make it if I don't do anything, so what's the harm?

(I am also really not wanting to lose him... he/she's a silver laced wyandotte that was shipped to me!)

I'll update!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  9. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Well, he is out. It's obvious that he is behind in development a little.... He had some bleeding, but it did stop pretty quickly. He was weaker than normal at first, but a few hours later, he's trying to right himself. I don't think I decreased his chances... I just don't think they were ever all that high. I am hoping he/she surprises us tomorrow!

If he/she had been one from my flock (or if I had ordered a bunch instead of just 5), I wouldn't have assisted. I truly think it's a "last resort-probably won't make it anyways" decision... and I hope not to do it again!

Crossing my fingers for the little slow poke!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by