Had to pull Squeaker from Parents: Update- Parents took him back

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chickenzoo, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, I had to pull a FanTail Squeaker from parents because I am temporarily keeping some young pheasants in with them, and they started to pick at the squeaker.The parents weren't paying good attention to him, and his croup was empty. I was going to try to pull the parents tomorrow and put them in a cage together so they can finish raising him. I didn't even know they had one until yesterday when it rolled itself out of the plastic igloo they nest in. He/She has it's pin quils with some starting to open. How often and how much should this Squeaker eat . I couldn't find an eye dropper black rubber top to invert on a syringe, but did find a plastic cone shaped cap, I put on the end of a 3cc syringe to feed him parrot hand feeding formula that I keep on hand. he's a hungry little bugger, he's already slopped down about 9-12 cc's this evening. I don't think at this age they feed him at night .... correct? I'm use to feeding parrots, LOL. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes they feed them at night, just dont let the crop become empty.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

About how many hours do you feed them at night, every hour, every 3......

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Every two or three hours. And don't worry, you can sleep, haha :p As far as I know, pigeons don't feed their young at night. At least not those old enough to have pin feathers.
    Just don't feed the babies again until the crop has emptied to prevent any problems.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Feed them b4 going to bed, check them first thing when you get up, if crop is empty time was to long.

Female do feed the young at night, have even seen them doing it.

But I am a night owl.

older squeaker every 4 hours. I never like seeing them with empty crop.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    wet some peas and drop it down the beak, fill the crop, syringe some water...
    you'll know when it's too dry/ wet by the feel of it.... don't feed it again until the crop is totally empty.

Usualy about twice a day.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He/She is back with it's parents this morning. I pulled the parents from the 10x10wire enclosed Gazebo I have my pigeons in right now, and put them in a cage with little Squeaker. They walked over and stood by him/her for a few seconds before going to eat. Squeakers seemed to like his comfy box with warm heat lamp and baby chicks better, he he. I'll keep an eye on them today to see how they accept him back. Thank you for the help.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Looks like they took him back just fine. He is sitting in the"nest" of hay i made them and looking quite content with his huge croup they just filled. [​IMG] What good pigeon parents.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by