Had to put a chicken down this morning....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgarreth, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jgarreth

jgarreth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    We had to put one of our chickens down this morning. This is a first for me. This is our first year having chickens. She had a prolapse...I soaked her butt in warm water, lubed her up and even pulled part of an egg membrane out. She was suffering. I hated to have to do it but.....My husband was a trooper. Just needed to share it. This goes along with raising chickens....

2. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Awww, so sorry to hear that hon. It is always traumatic when you have to do these things but better that than leave her to suffer xx

Just a wee tip though....if you cover a prolapse in icing sugar, it will often retract on its own....I've done this with one of my chooks and also on an african pygmy hedgehog!!!

3. jgarreth

jgarreth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    It did seem to go back in but after several days of rest and being kept away from the others, she continued to decline. I couldn't stand to see her suffer.

4. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sure you did the right thing. Sometimes it is far better to bring forward the inevitable than watch a slow decline and painful death x Hugs x

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    So sorry to hear that[​IMG] My chicken had that and that was before I was on here so I didn't know what to do I even called friends that had chickens for years and they didn't know what to do so I just let her alone and somehow she lived. Sorry about your hen again [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Kudos to you for stepping up and doing what needed to be done. It's a crappy part of animal keeping, but it sometimes needs to be done and it's mercy to the animal. Good for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by