Had to put a LOCK on my chicken coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Momagain1, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    apparently; the same neighbor I have other issues with...now I'm having to
    lock my coop door...

Hubby had to put a deadbolt on to keep our neighbors kids out of the coop..from getting
    our eggs...
    they've retrieved 8 eggs and dropped all but 1...and took 2 home that I know of...after the fact...

grrr

so..it is now deadbolted..I dislike this so much..but apparently; pests come in all forms..human too!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My dogs would eat them....the kids that is...or at least make them think they would

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    OMG! That is terrible! Do the parents know? (or care?) I am glad you put a lock on the coop, hopefully they will not try to break in. I would file a police report- 1. they are trespassing on your property 2.they are stealing. Do you know anyone with a good guard dog you could borrow? Sorry you have to deal with that!!

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
  5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    If times and peoples anxiety levels get much worse, I am afraid we will all be using locks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I had to put up two NO Trespassing PRIVATE property signs. I also put up another (I had made) that says. I will call the police and have you arrested if you are caught on my property, stealing eggs or messing with my chickens..... THAT MEANS YOU Smile your on camera.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Maybe let a couple of your eggs "ripen" in the sun awhile. Mayhaps an exploded rotten egg would discourage the little vandals!

8. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I have never had another problem [​IMG] But I do have a lock on my coop door as well as my run door. But have not seen anyone hanging around anymore.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    just read your other post, these neighbors sound like real gems... I would definitely call the cops, if you suspect they are drug dealers, their children are trespassing and stealing, and their dogs harass and injure your pets, you have more than enough to get a cop out to talk to them. From your other post I gathered that you have a fenced run, but your whole yard isn't fenced- I know it is expensive but a good fence could go a long way to discourage dogs and children- especially a tall one with a good locking gate. I would also put up some no trespassing signs, and a surveillance camera sign- even if you don't actually have a camera the sign should be enough to make people believe you have one, and stay out of your yard. Again so sorry you have to deal with this issue, I hope those kids stay away from your eggs!

10. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I would definately call the cops or at least CPS and tell them that you are afraid for these children and that the is drug activity. And tell them that you think that they own guns. It will not tell the neighbors who called and have to bring the Police since guns are involved. I would just report them before something worse happens. We had some people out here like that and I never called until it was to late almost. Finally the dad pulled a gun on the strung out mom and the 1 year old baby. I was feeling pretty guilty after that for not doing anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by