Had to put down my 2 dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well My Animal Family has gotten smaller unfortunately.

We finally had to make that awful decision, The one were we had to let go of our loyal family members.

Lacey, our 12 year old white miniature schnauzer had it all. From arthritis, to cancer. Tumors to cataracts. The last week or so she had been limping around on 3 paws. The rest of the time I had to carry her. Her hips coulnt support her anymore and her legs collapsed from under her.My mom went to buy a pair of shoes for me when I was 3 and she came home with a beautiful puppy. That was My Lacey. (4/22/1996 - 7/8/08)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sophie, Our 8 year old White Miniature schnauzer, and Lacey's Daughter also had to be put down . She had this horrid skin condition. it wasnt mange, and it didnt seem like an allergy. She has like...scabs.. covering her entire back. She would itch and itch and itch all the time, it got to be so bad that she would run around the house like she was coming out of her skin, should would try to hide under things. She had this for two years, and we couldnt see her suffer anymore. She was my best friend... she slept with me every night, followed me around, kept me safe when I was home alone. She was always there. When we went to get it done she was in my arms. (9/7/2000 - 7/8/08)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love you girls, Forever.

[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Hugs to you.... it's a hard decision to make, but you know they are both running free from pain now. [​IMG]

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm so sorry for your loss![​IMG]

It's a hard decision to make but you did it because you love them.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I am so sorry, I truly understand how terrible it is to lose your faithful and loved companions.

[​IMG]

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I am so sorry.

That is always the hardest decision to make.

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I keep telling myself that, but It hurts the most when I go to bed and they arent there. I keep telling myself they are up with Skittles ( my blue Swedish male duck I lost in January). I appreciate your support in this time.

7. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i am a dog groomer, and i can tell those who dont understand that those skin conditions in schnauzers can get really bad, stink really bad and can be a long term antibiotics etc shampoos that dont seem to ever work,or go away. you can wash that dog and in hours its back.the smell the itching, i totally understand your decision and i know it hurts, something you never get over. the loss of a best friend.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Bravo for you!

I've lost track of how many time I've said, "Next time, I'm going to take my dog in to have it put to sleep rather than dragging out the inevitable fate to come, making it deal with vet visits, medicine, shots, operations, etc. while the poor things were miserable." One gave up on my helping it out of its misery and walked off never to be seen again. My wife and I looked under every bush in the county and never did find him. Next time, I'm going to take my dog in to have it put to sleep rather than dragging out the inevitable fate to come.

I know it was hard, and I'm sorry for your loss, but take comfort in knowing how much you helped them when the time came.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I am so sorry. That must have been bad for you to watch them suffer, but you did the right thing. I just hate you had to do it.[​IMG]:aww

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Reading through the posts I noticed chickn The groomer.
    Would any other helpful ppl know what that skin condition was?
    I dont think I want to be a vet, But I have lost alot of animals in my 15 years and I hate myself when I dont know how to help them out before the kick the bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by