Had to put her down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbrinks1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. bbrinks1

bbrinks1 New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    [​IMG]I had a 10 wk old hen that I put down last night. She was not eating well early in the day and was very lethargic. Last night it was very cold and I noticed she was not in the coop. Went outside and there was hardly any life left in her. She was very bloated. I'm concerned about my other birds. Any ideas? They are on medicated feed, have a nice clean coop with plenty of food/water and pine shavings.

2. PennyinOK

PennyinOK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    I am sorry for your loss I am too new to offer you any useful advice.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I also, am too new to offer much help, but when I had a sick hen that I had to cull Friday, everyone on BYC said to wash out all the nesting boxes and the food and water bowls, and the whole coop with a bleach solution. I did that 2 weeks ago and put all new bedding, and so far none of my other chickens are showing any signs of being sick. Good luck, hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    mine was bloated around the butt area, I think it was intestanal blockage

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Are you using Pine or Cedar shavings?

6. bbrinks1

bbrinks1 New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    Pine shavings. I'm hoping it's not a virus or something else. I only have 4 other birds.

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You may want to cross post under Raising Baby Chicks seems she was only 10 weeks old and see if anyone there could offer any help. Sorry I can't do more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by