had to resort to getting them dog food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhoda_bruce, Dec 13, 2009.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well yesterday, being Saturday, I was limited on time for going to the feed store and by the time I realized I should have gone, I was half way home from my 50 min drive from work, so I got my daughter to phone around our hometown for places that had grain....all closed. Then I said to myself,"If I was needing dogfood for the dog, no problem" so I said,"Hey they can eat that. Why not?" So I just put their feeder full of dogfood and threw out the food scraps. Do ya'll think I will be pleased with the results?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Should be just fine.

Imp- well except for the barking at night [​IMG]

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Not sure if dog food is a great idea. as a kid ( a long time ago ) my dad ran out of rabbit feed and fed some of our dry dog food to it. Well he filled his belly up then drank water immediately after. The dog food swell to almost double its size when wet. It swelled so much it put pressure on his lungs and he could not breath. Needles to say he died rather quickly. In a pinch I would use dry cat food. It seems not to swell as much. Just wanted to let you know about my experience with dry dog food.

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my chickens and ducks always eats my dogs food and we never have a problem

5. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! I assume you are only feeding them the dogfood until you can get regular chicken feed at the feed store? I wouldn't want them to have a regular diet of dog food, but if it's only for a couple of days, it will at least fill their bellies and they won't get too mad at you! Just and FYI - We unexpectedly got chickens when the grandson won them at a local rodeo. We got wild birdfeed at Wal-mart and that's what they got for quit a while. I wasn't about to buy a 50# bag of mash for two hens! We did up their protein with dry cat food and meat scraps - they did quite well!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Imp, you make me smile in the morning. That's a nearly impossible feat. [​IMG]

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i give mine cat food but i put milk or yogurt or water on it.. when soggy then they get it

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well a lot of the locals swear that they feed their chickens crack corn with one can size portion of dry dogfood everyday and that it gives them just as much eggs as if they would feed them layers pellets only. So if my chickens bombard me with eggs in the next few days, I will probably just put up with all that barking.

9. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:My ducks like my dogs kibble, and her beef chunks canned dog food.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:[​IMG] Imp, you make me smile in the morning. That's a nearly impossible feat. [​IMG]

Ditto! Imp always cracks me up!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by