Had to round up the flock today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by binders, Dec 4, 2011.

1. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Had our first real snowfall yesterday and last night (only 2-3 inches but was covering most things). The ladies did not want to go out of their coop let alone outside of the run to free range yesterday but I gave them the option today and they took it. They went flying/running out of the run and spent all day finding going to the places that the snow had melted from. When it came close to time for them to head in for the evening they were on my back porch looking lost. I headed out with my pail of BOSS and got them heading in the right direction and seed the run with BOSS. Thought they would do better if I wasn't in their way, I headed back inside. Looked out later (luckily still a little light out) and they were all culstered under a tree about 30 feet from the run and coop. Tried to shoo them but they wouldn't move. I had to get a rake out and clear the snow to make a path and as soon as I did they all happily marched into the run and hit the feed before heading into the coop. I think they were prepared to spend the night out in the wild outside. Glad I saw them before it got too dark to see where they were. Teaches me to let them out when there is snow. I've learnt my lesson.[​IMG]

2. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    LOL same thing happened to me last winter. let the flock out and they walked across the snow to the house, BUT wouldn't walk back to the coop. they stayed under the overhang of the house and I had to pick them up two at a time and carry them back to the coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by