HAD TO RUSH DAISY TO THE VET.....**UPDATE**

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Our boxer is at the vet this morning and we have no idea whats wrong.

Last night Daisy was playing ball in the livingroom something we do everynight after that she went out to potty and get a drink than off to bed-the same thing we do everynight.
This morning we got up to find she had pooped all in the hallway - really running nothing solid and there was alot of it, she is also having a very hard time walking like her joints just dont want to bend , she is very wobbly on her feet, and just seems " out of it ".

Daisy is only 2 - not in heat , has had no puppies in the last 8 months ( maybe even longer ), very active high energy dog.
She has not gotten in to the trash, has had her shots, no contact with other dogs ( except the ones she lives with ), nothing in her yard that is not sopposed to be there, all the other dogs are fine, she has no intrest in food or water

Right now she is at the vets in a cage resting - till the vet gets back in the office.

Here is what the vet tech thinks it might be :
1 - she pinched a nerve will playing, that would explain the having trouble walking but would not explain the diarhhea ( sp wrong sorry )

2- she has pancreitious ( sp wrong i know ) but since she is only 2 ??

3- dont think it is Parvo - she is 2 and that is normally found mostly in pups ( and other dogs are fine )

right now this is going to hurt us so much - since we just lost our paper-route job, and havin taken Abbey our other boxer to the vet so much during her preg. - this is going to sink us into a major hole.
but Daisy is the Alfa dog around here and having her like this is just not normal we know there is something wrong and now we just need to find out what.

If anyone has any ideas what this might be I can talk to the vet and see if we come up with anything.
Also if anyone has any extra prayers hanging around please send them this way.

I will keep you all posted as soon as we hear anything.

Julie

Last edited:
This is a total stab in the dark, but I have heard that playing like that after eating can cause stomach torsion, where the stomach literally twists and kinks off the esophagus and intestines. I don't know if you feed at night or in the am, but thought I would throw this out there as a mild possiblity. I'm sure the vet will have a much better idea. Hopefully they will know quickly and Daisy will be right as rain in no time. So sorry about the financial hardship, hopefully the vet will work with you. Keep us posted. Suz

we feed the kids twice a day once around 6:30 am -they normally dont eat during the day to busy doing dog things like bark at whatever they see... sleep...bark some more...sleep etc... LOL
Than we feed them again in the evening around 6ish, and the play session is normally around 8 or so just before bed.
we have the same routine every day/night with them so for her to all of a sudden get sick is just so worry some and since the other dogs are acting fine it really scares me- because I have a mother dog nursing 2 week old pups and another young puppy in the house so right now we just dont know what to do.

Julie

I hate to say this but is there any chance that maybe she found some rat poison? I had a dog find some I had forgot about and it did basically the same ...I know its scarey cause they cant tell you where it hurts , but hopefully the vet will figure it out. Good Luck

we have been battling mice since we moved in here but we do not use any poison - we use those glue traps and we put them in places the dogs cant get and we also put them in place after the dogs go to bed and while they are outside going potty in the morning i pick them up before the dogs can go into the rooms where we have the mice.
so here at home there in no chance of that - but thank you for the idea.
so far it is a totally confussing as to what is wrong I keep watching the others and they all are fine - eating drinking doing the normal stuff - even the youngest ones in the house are normal.
and we have not taken any of the dogs for a walk in awhile due to weather and the fact I have a messed up ACL in my knee so walking right now is very painful for me.

please keep the ideas coming - I am going to pass everything on to the vet when he gets back - even though I know what ever it is he is smarter than me and will find out whats wrong with her, but ideas cant hurt.

Julie

the stomach problem suggested above is very possible with alot of breeds. i have a weimaraner and we have to watch for bloat with her, due to her breed. here is a link about it that may help ya out some. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat .

we also due to her breed cannot allow her to over eat or eat spicy, greesy things. she cannot eat for a few hours before she plays or she gets sick. the haveing a hard time walking could be due to iritateing the stomach. like if we have the flu walking hurts us from the cramps mabe that is why she is trying not to walk around so much.

it's definately not parvo i have had puppies i got from amish a few years ago when we lived at our old house who had it. the pups where not vacinated against it when we got them. while waiting to get them into the vet a few days later someone brought a puppy to the neighber's that had it and never told anyone till it was too late. many children touched the puppy and then played with mine outside as well as others. within a very short time mine had developed signs of it. you would know there would be blood everywhere. they would constanly have diarea and vomitting with blood in both and would do it all through the house. they would hide in the darkest place possible trying to die by themselves and not want to be around people at all. due to the woman who brought the puppy in knowing what it had 20+ dogs within a 5 block radious died i saved one of mine but the rest all had to be put down or died. parvo is very deadly to puppies and older dogs if your dog has shots against it and with her age i'm possative there is noway she has it.

is there anyway she ate plastic, foam or stuffing from a toy or anything like that? that would give her a flu reaction too but if small enough sometimes they pass with no signs. my min pins always get into toys so that's a thought too.

hope this helps some,
silkie

Here is what the vet said so far :

They ran a parvo test ( just in case even though she is 2 ) it came back NEG. and since she was fine last night and showed no signs of being sick they are ruling out anything along the lines of parvo.
They also ran a blood test and found no signs of poisons - like for rats/mice, anitfreeze etc...
Next they are going to do x-rays and check to see if she pinched a nerve or something while playing.
They have given her something to calm her stomach kinda like me or you taking Pepto, she is drinking but only if you use a seringe (sp) they have not offered her food yet till all the testing is done. She is up and walking on her own very slowly and still a bit wobbly, she is alert she will turn her head towards sound and has even wagged her tail once or twice. She is having a hard getting up or down from a laying postion so they are really thinking a pinched nerve but we will go pick her up when DH gets off work if vet says she can come home. they dont think she has anything that will pass on to the puppy's here.

And yes Daisy plays with toys that have stuffing - she has murdered a stuffed toy more than once and has never gotten sick.

Julie

Julie,

I have no idea what it could be, but wanted you to know, you and your family (pets included) are in my prayers. I hope she recovers fast, and the vet can give ya a break on the bill.

** UPDATE **

Daisy is home and is walking on her own - still alittle stiff and wobbly but at least she is moving. She is going to the bathroom her poop is still a bit on the yucky side but it is better than what we found this morning.
from the x-rays it looks like she has a pinched nerve in her neck ( where the collar sits on the neck ) most likely from her thrashing her head back and forth while trying to kill her stuffed animal last night, and the diaherra is from her not feeling well.

for the next few days vet wants her to eat soft foods like canned puppy because it is gentle on the stomach - he also says she can have scrammbeld eggs ( thank god the girls are laying 4-6 a day ) the egg is great for protein plus it helps them want to eat because it is people food.

she is on bed rest for the next few days but as soon as we got home she had to walk around every inch of the house and check everything to make sure it was in its place, than had to make sure the backyard is like it should be, than she had to greet all the dogs.

so for right now alls is alright

Julie

Back
Top Bottom