Had to scold my "children" tonight! They were bad little babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Theapplechicks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    So I go out tonight to start getting the girls ready to go up for the night and notice the "teens" are all running around chasing one that has something in her beak and they are going crazy all excited. We kinda laughed at first thinking it was a big bug or something. Then I got a closer look! They had a baby bird!!!! Woodstock who I sadly think is a roo ended up w/ it and I had hold of him trying to get him to drop it and get it away but he wouldn't let go! I kept flicking his head saying drop it but he was not giving it up! By the time I got him to let go the poor little thing was beyond help and didn't make it. They had tore it all up. Poor baby bird! Then they sulked because I took their prize away! Such naughty little things!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Think tiny feathered velociraptors. [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine do that to frogs. UGH but baby birds are WAY worse! Poor baby bird! And that's why I get nervous letting broodies in with the other hens when hatching babies. Mine are VERY bad birds and DO eat babies!

4. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    i had a good laugh imaginig you flickin your roosters head and telling him to "Drop It!!!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:I'm sure it was quite the site and he was not giving it up either! LOL! Stubborn little bugger! Never even flinched, it was like a defiant child! He only let go because he was trying to get a better grip and I snatched him away too quickly!

6. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:perfect analogy! [​IMG] I saw evil in those eyes tonight! lol!

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Yes they are bad children. They needed to be scolded. Poor baby bird. But yes they are chickens and do what they do. But it is still so sad.

8. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

One of our roos got hold of a young mouse one day while my husband and I were checking the Tin Cats. Yeek, that was awful! Thankfully the roo was a big greedy blob and dispatched and gobbled down the mouse whole before any of the hens could get involved. My husband was horrified and said that he'd never look at that roo the same way again. He would definitely agree with "tiny feathered velociraptors"!

Oh dear, and now I'm imagining your roo with the baby bird, and a voice-over from our neighbor trying to get his dog to give back the tennis ball: "Drop! Drop iiiit. Drop it now! Hey, are you listening to me?" [​IMG] I have a sick sense of humor; sorry.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Yep, I've got some bratty birds myself. I've had to rescue a few frogs in my day. Sometimes I'm just not quick enough, though. *sigh* Poor little things.

I have to tell my mom all the time that they're just little dinosaurs disguised as cute fluffy chickens. [​IMG]

So sorry about that poor baby bird, though. I bet the little guy is having a good time in that big nest in the sky. [​IMG]

10. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Well, not funny with a baby bird like that but they are in fact Omnivores. To bad there was a bird involved but when I have a hen go broody in one of my coops I pull the Roos and move them so the bitties will survive, otherwise they will not. Roos are far more Omni then hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by